Started by Queequeg, November 18, 2012, 09:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 03:55:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 03:53:15 PM
Chinese North Koreans :lol:

I'm not overly excited about it.

That is terrible. 

If the story is like that of the video game Homefront, it's semi-plausible.  Or at least as plausible as it can possibly be.  New, charismatic NK leader manages to unite the Koreas under his rule and goes all 21st Century Co-Prosperity Sphere on East Asia.  A rising Korea eventually pounces on a weakened US that is reeling from economic and energy problems. 

Originally the Chinese were the bad guys, but someone realized that would shut them out of the lucrative Chinese market, so they changed them to North Koreans in post-production.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 04:03:51 PM
Originally the Chinese were the bad guys, but someone realized that would shut them out of the lucrative Chinese market, so they changed them to North Koreans in post-production.

Faggot ass Hollywood cowards.  Can't blame a union on this decision, though.

Besides, you'd think with the increased extroverted nationalism in China these days, the Ed Anger-Sans would spooge over the concept.  PLA overtaking Seattle?  Me Rikey!

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 04:05:39 PM

Besides, you'd think with the increased extroverted nationalism in China these days, the Ed Anger-Sans would spooge over the concept.  PLA overtaking Seattle?  Me Rikey!

Maybe, dunno.  Btw if you want some real fun, talk to a Russian who has seen Red Dawn.  They bitch incessantly about bad dialogue & other supposed inaccuracies, but you know they're just pissed 'cuz their side is getting ripped up by a bunch of teenagers.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 04:10:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 04:05:39 PM

Maybe, dunno.  Btw if you want some real fun, talk to a Russian who has seen Red Dawn.  They bitch incessantly about bad dialogue & other supposed inaccuracies, but you know they're just pissed 'cuz their side is getting ripped up by a bunch of teenagers.

It was Cubans

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 04:10:17 PM

Colonel Bella epitomized the best of the Castro Revolution.  :wub:

derspiess

Tonitrus

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 03:55:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 03:53:15 PM
Chinese North Koreans :lol:

I'm not overly excited about it.

That is terrible.

IIRC, it was the Chinese in the script and for much of the production, but then I guess they realized that would really tank their sales in China (or possibly endanger the prospects of other films by the company), so they made a switch.

Jacob

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 02:07:47 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 12:22:54 PM
Remember Special Bulletin?  That was the fake newscast that had domestic terrorists detonating a nuke in Charleston, SC of all places.  I was actually in South Carolina at my aunt & uncle's place when it aired and it freaked my mom & her dimwit sisters out even though they knew it was fake.

Oh, yeah man. Now that one scared the shit out of me.  That one because of the homemade terrorism angle, but Countdown to Looking Glass was even more frightening:  same motif--fake news--with the superpower showdown in the Persian Gulf after the Iranians closed the Straits of Hormuz.  In 1984, that shit was waaay too close to possibility.  With the reporter on the USS Nimitz steaming to the Gulf to reopen it, and the Soviets responding?  Yikes.

Those two films were a hell of a lot more effective--because they were a hell of a lot more plausible--than The Day After, which I thought was incredibly stupid.  So Kansas City gets melted, big deal.  The Chiefs have sucked since the 60s.

Countdown was the one I remembered.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2012, 04:37:41 PM
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/11/red-dawn-wasnt-about-the-cold-war-it-was-about-shooting-people/265361/

Quote'Red Dawn' Wasn't About the Cold War; It Was About Shooting People
:P

It's a silly article.  Of course Red Dawn was about the cold war.  These weren't some faceless enemy, it was the Reds.  They rounded up people and put them into political re-education centres!

The comments about how you could easily improve on the low-budget original are fair game, but there's a reason it's become a cult classic.  And the damn dirty commies are part of that reason.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2012, 05:04:21 PM
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/11/red-dawn-wasnt-about-the-cold-war-it-was-about-shooting-people/265361/

It's a silly article.  Of course Red Dawn was about the cold war.  These weren't some faceless enemy, it was the Reds.  They rounded up people and put them into political re-education centres!

Beeb, what's up with you taking my posts so overly serious recently? Relax.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2012, 05:30:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2012, 05:04:21 PM

Beeb, what's up with you taking my posts so overly serious recently? Relax.

This is Red Dawn we are talking about.  It isnt something silly like a beauty pageant contestant talking about removing her breasts.