The Day After v. Threads and When the Wind Blows

Started by Queequeg, November 18, 2012, 09:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2012, 02:36:43 PM
Personally, I was always partial to On the Beach (original).

Yeah, saw that a year or so ago, it's a fine film. 

That was a time when Hollywood could confidently do political/topically controversial stuff, without peeing it's pants about the reaction.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 19, 2012, 02:34:34 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 19, 2012, 02:31:00 PM
By Dawn's Early Light was good.

Yuk. Only Rip Torn was good in it.

:mad: :mad: :mad: Rebecca DeMornay was still hot, Nicolas Coster was SAC, and Dale was Harpoon.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

You fucking strudel fuck.

Edit:  And James Earl Jones.  Strudel fuck.

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 02:34:10 PM

My fave-rave WW3 flick.  I'd ride to the Apocalypse with Powers Boothe in a B-52 anytime.  STRAIGHT DOWN KARL MARX BOULEVARD  BYE BYE BABY BABUSHKAS

Anything with Powers Boothe is automatically good. 

Which is a segue into the ultimate 80s Cold War movie:  Red Dawn  :punk:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Is it bad that I always get a twinge of wishing it were real when I watch these movies? I mean I obviously don't want it to happen, but there is an aspect to the whole society completely breaking down and I have to live on my wits part that is appealing to me. I also fantasize about being a colonist to a different planet for the same reason.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 03:16:29 PM

I saw a commercial for the remake - who is going to be invading now?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 19, 2012, 03:42:16 PM
Is it bad that I always get a twinge of wishing it were real when I watch these movies? I mean I obviously don't want it to happen, but there is an aspect to the whole society completely breaking down and I have to live on my wits part that is appealing to me.

That's all well and good, but hope for an epidemic or zombies, where shit is still left around intact, instead of a nuclear war wasteland.  Jeez.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2012, 03:08:26 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 19, 2012, 02:34:34 PM

Yuk. Only Rip Torn was good in it.

:mad: :mad: :mad: Rebecca DeMornay was still hot, Nicolas Coster was SAC, and Dale was Harpoon.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

You fucking strudel fuck.

Edit:  And James Earl Jones.  Strudel fuck.

Go easy on him...he just had childhood dreams of cutting off the head of the Soviet chicken.  :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 19, 2012, 03:46:58 PM
Go easy on him...he just had childhood dreams of cutting off the head of the Soviet chicken.  :P

:lol:  Rip Torn's character was a total psycho in that.  Must've worked for LeMay.

Tonitrus

I also approve of the film's fine portrayal of the Air Force, and that the douchebag move is done by the Army (Rip Torn).  :D

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 03:44:13 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2012, 03:16:29 PM

I saw a commercial for the remake - who is going to be invading now?

Chinese North Koreans :lol:

I'm not overly excited about it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 19, 2012, 03:42:16 PM
Is it bad that I always get a twinge of wishing it were real when I watch these movies? I mean I obviously don't want it to happen, but there is an aspect to the whole society completely breaking down and I have to live on my wits part that is appealing to me. I also fantasize about being a colonist to a different planet for the same reason.

I know what you mean.  But once you have kids it stops :mellow:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 19, 2012, 03:53:02 PM
I also approve of the film's fine portrayal of the Air Force, and that the douchebag move is done by the Army (Rip Torn).  :D

Amen, the Zoomies saved the world. 

Of course, it's the Navy with the theological conscience.  They read too much.