Miss D.C. to have breasts removed after Miss America pageant.

Started by Syt, November 17, 2012, 01:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 05:21:53 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 05:18:47 PM
Quote from: Fate on November 19, 2012, 04:49:28 PM
2) most women don't breast feed all that long anyway once they leave the hospital even if they have two breasts...

:huh:

Another odd US norm?

Oh for fuck's sake. Don't go all Jos on us now, CC.

There are plenty of women incapable of breast feeding.

If you would take a moment to breath we are talking about woman who can

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 05:20:30 PM

Yes, I agree her publicity stunt is utter bullshit.  If she really is at a 65% chance risk of dying why the hell does she still have those deadly breasts attached to her body?

Because she has - presumably with the advice and blessing of her doctor - chosen to delay that procedure for a year. That is a choice for her to make about her health, career, and lifestyle. She's gone public about her choice as a way to bring attention to the disease, and yeah, probably to help her chances at becoming Miss America. Whatever her reason for her choice, they're her reasons to have, not yours to dictate because of your personal cynicism.

First, she's ridiculous for lopping them off, now she's a moron for not doing it yesterday. Basically, the woman can't win with you people.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 05:26:20 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 05:20:30 PM

Yes, I agree her publicity stunt is utter bullshit.  If she really is at a 65% chance risk of dying why the hell does she still have those deadly breasts attached to her body?

Because she has - presumably with the advice and blessing of her doctor - chosen to delay that procedure for a year.

What with a 65% chance of dying any day!?!  That is a hell of a presumption for you to make

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 05:23:26 PM

How do you know that she can? Because she has breasts at the moment? So do I, yet I could only breast feed two of my four kids. So have plenty of women that I know who chose, for a variety of reasons, not to breast feed their kids.

This woman will NOT have breasts at the time that she has children. Does that mean that she shouldn't have children?

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 05:28:22 PM

What with a 65% chance of dying any day!?!  That is a hell of a presumption for you to make

I see. Obviously, discussing this with you is a waste of my time. Time to bow out. Ta.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 05:29:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 19, 2012, 05:23:26 PM

How do you know that she can?

Wow, that is the basis of Fates comment to me.  keep up

Syt

2) most women don't breast feed all that long anyway once they leave the hospital even if they have two breasts...

Another odd US norm?

I was raised on the bottle only, and that was in 70s Germany. I've known plenty women who didn't breastfeed, and it's only recently become fashionable again.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2012, 05:32:45 PM
and it's only recently become fashionable again.

Yep, thanks for confirming my point. People in the 70s did all kinds of silly things.  Smoking, drinking, prescription drugs that caused birth defects.  Not exactly a good guide to what happens now is it?

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2012, 05:32:45 PM

Another odd US norm?

I was raised on the bottle only, and that was in 70s Germany. I've known plenty women who didn't breastfeed, and it's only recently become fashionable again.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 05:21:53 PM
Nor does it "harm the child" to be a formula-fed kid.

I dunno, Meri.  Look at Caliga;  breast feeding stopped too soon, got massively grotesque breasts on the brain the rest of his life.

"Ma'am, you don't breast-feed him, he'll hate you for it later. That's why we wound up in prison."
"Anyway, that's what Doc Schwartz tells us."

The Peter North fetish, that's something entirely different, I think.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2012, 05:35:13 PM

Quite serious. It's the same in the US. In fact, for most of the 1950-1970s, it was considered better for babies to be formula-fed rather than breast-fed. They provided new mothers with pills to dry up the milk all the way up through the 1990s. It's only been in the last 20 years or so where the benefits of breast feeding has been shown to be the better option here. Plenty of women still choose not to go that route for a variety of reasons.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on November 19, 2012, 05:37:30 PM

I'm lashing out seedy-style, taking your busting on me in one thread for not being able to tell if you're serious or not, into another.

I thought it would be funny.

:(

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on November 19, 2012, 05:38:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2012, 05:35:13 PM

Quite serious. It's the same in the US. In fact, for most of the 1950-1970s, it was considered better for babies to be formula-fed rather than breast-fed. They provided new mothers with pills to dry up the milk all the way up through the 1990s. It's only been in the last 20 years or so where the benefits of breast feeding has been shown to be the better option here. Plenty of women still choose not to go that route for a variety of reasons.

:rolleyes:

As the father of two very young boys I am aware of the pros, cons, and history of breastfeeding.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2012, 05:39:08 PMI'm lashing out seedy-style, taking your busting on me in one thread for not being able to tell if you're serious or not, into another.

I thought it would be funny.

:(

Ah, ok. :hug:
—Stephen Jay Gould