Miss D.C. to have breasts removed after Miss America pageant.

Started by Syt, November 17, 2012, 01:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Don't trust him Otto, he's a doctor.  You can't trust them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Quote from: Razgovory on November 17, 2012, 10:31:00 PM

No kidding, he probably studied science or some stupid shit.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on November 18, 2012, 12:12:04 AM

No kidding, he probably studied science or some stupid shit.

He probably has a belt with a dozen disembodied breasts hanging from it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

:yes:

If you judge by a tv series I am watching, American psychiatry is in a horrible state and all doctors are psychotic murderers. The Guardian should publish a story about it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on November 17, 2012, 02:06:25 AM
Incredibly brave and intelligent of her.

Incredible publicity stunt.  If was really choosing health over beauty  as she claims they would already be off.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2012, 12:25:08 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 17, 2012, 02:06:25 AM
Incredibly brave and intelligent of her.

Incredible publicity stunt.  If was really choosing health over beauty  as she claims they would already be off.

And on some doctor's belt.

Fate

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 17, 2012, 09:54:11 PM
I'd need real numbers though. On the "not all women are screened" that's moot here as she obviously would be someone getting more-than-regular screenings.

Of people who have breast cancer caught early, what percentage come out of it fine? Of people who have the genetic issue she has, what percentage get breast cancer at all?

I could remove my testicles and prostate to pre-emptively protect myself from cancer of either organ, but there are literally hundreds of things I could do that might prevent certain cancers but given the relatively low risk would not be justified. Maybe this is (I'm open to the idea), but I'd need actual statistics here to say.
If you had cryptorchidism we'd prophylactically remove your testicles given how likely it is for cancer to occur in such a person. I've never heard of a familial testicular cancer syndrome. The rate of testicular cancer is no where near the rate of breast cancer. Women with BRCA have a 65% chance of getting breast cancer. You have a 0.4% chance of getting testicular cancer. It would unreasonable for a urologist to prophylactically remove your testicles unless you had a significant risk factor in your history.

The data you're wanting probably doesn't exist for Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome because it's such a rare disease.

Neil

That's not brave or intelligent.  Without them, she has nothing to offer anyone.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Fate on November 18, 2012, 02:10:33 PM
The rate of testicular cancer is no where near the rate of breast cancer.

What are the stats on the mortality rates, though?

Cecil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2012, 02:40:50 PM

But prostate cancer is twice the killer that breast cancer is. Well at least over here. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Cecil on November 18, 2012, 02:46:38 PM
But prostate cancer is twice the killer that breast cancer is. Well at least over here.

I bet breast cancer gets more funding than prostate cancer, too.

Cecil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2012, 02:47:50 PM

Can only speak for my part of the world but IIRC the rate here was 8 to 1 in favour of breast cancer research. Also a lot more is spent screening women than they do men so I guess that could be an explanation why the high death toll among men afflicted by prostate cancer.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2012, 02:47:50 PM

Every time some bitch mouths off about how if men had to have children, abortions would be hassle-free and birth control would be free and all that shit, I mention the disparity in research funding for women cancers vs. men cancers, and watch them whine and cry about historical injustice.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Fate

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2012, 02:40:50 PM

5 year mortality rates:

Pancreatic cancer - 97%
Liver cancer - 95%
Esophageal cancer - 92%
Lung cancer - 87%
Stomach cancer - 83%
Brain cancer - 75%
Ovarian cancer - 61%
Oral cancer - 49%
Kidney cancer - 47%
Rectal cancer - 46%
Colon cancer - 43%