News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite TV show from the '80s

Started by merithyn, November 16, 2012, 10:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

The A-Team, Knight Rider and Transformers defined my childhood. Always ate my lunch in a blast so we could go to the living room to watch those, since they ran at 15:30 pm. (Transformers in the afternoon after school).

In particular, A-Team led me to believe that guns weren't that much of a big deal, since people could shoot 1000000000 bullets at each other without a drop of blood being shed, and that car crashes shouldn't be feared since you could always crawl off the car.

Magnum PI, Dukes, McGyver and the old Battlestar Galactica were also big favorites of mine.

Barrister

I want to say MASH or WKRP, but both are more 70s-era shows.  I also want to say Star Trek: TNG, but that is probably more a 90s show.

Lots of shows I enjoyed in the 80s, but probably haven't aged well.  LA Law for example.

Shows like A-Team or Knight Rider were shows I loved as a kid, but wouldn't these days.

I'm going through the list - I'm reminded of Police Squad!  If shows with only six episodes count, then that's my vote.  Those were 6 really funny episodes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

NBC's Thursday night line up was amazing:  Cosby, Family Ties, Cheers and then my favorite, Night Court.

Moonlighting was great right up until they ruined the show by getting hooked up, but I used to fucking cancel plans when it came to Miami Vice on Friday nights.

Barrister

Night Court is a good one.  I was going to go with it until I decided to go into left field with Police Squad!

And it's surprisingly accurate for a TV show in its portrayal of docket court.

CountDeMoney

I was an avid LA Law fan.  Arnie was the bomb.

Barrister

The black lawyer cross-examining the witness to death was a tv classic moment. :)

celedhring

As for non-American shows, I was a huge Blackadder fan. Also loved The Young Ones, but I got more into it in the 90s, when I was older and could understand more of the jokes. Same with Red Dwarf.

Pedrito

I forgot the two shows bordering the 70s that were the favorite : Happy Days and Mork & Mindy!

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Drakken

As technically it started in 1987, Unsolved Mysteries. It's the only 80s show that I still watch on off-times, in fact, as a lot of the segments are still circulating around as it was syndicated on Lifetime for Women, and quite a few cases are unresolved and are still investigated.

I haven't watched the new version on Spike with Dennis Farina, however.

There's a fan community at Sitcom Online. Relatives of victims or missing persons covered on UM (and, allegedly, a few suspects as well) have also posted over there with their own inputs.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

dps

Quote from: merithyn on November 16, 2012, 10:35:46 AM
What's yours?

For those who need help, here's a list: http://www.fromthe80s.com/tv/series.php

Of the shows on that list, easily WKRP in Cincinnati, but I consider it more of a 70's show.  Otherwise, at the time, my favorites would have been Family Ties and Magnum, PI.  In retrospect, I really like The Equalizer.

crazy canuck

There was a lot of great TV.

Hill Street Blues,
Mork and Mindy
Cheers
Family Ties

The list goes on but these after a quick scan were the those that jumped out at me that I never missed.

mongers

From North American output meantioned only Hill Street Blues and Cheers held my attention back then.

For UK tv, mainly comedy series from that era.

I guess it's largely a question of age more here grew up in the 80s whereas us olders have more fondness for the 70s stuff. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

TV from the last ten years is way better than the stuff of our youth*. Mainly because they no longer have to dumb it down enough to attract 20 million viewers.

*Of course, I'm comparing best to best. It's likely worse on average, but there's no reason to watch crappy tv shows.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?