News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite TV show from the '80s

Started by merithyn, November 16, 2012, 10:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 16, 2012, 06:22:23 PM
TV from the last ten years is way better than the stuff of our youth*. Mainly because they no longer have to dumb it down enough to attract 20 million viewers.

*Of course, I'm comparing best to best. It's likely worse on average, but there's no reason to watch crappy tv shows.

They never did really have to dumb it down, they just thought that they did.  But the people in charge of the best of the older shows knew this, and I'm not sure that the best of the newer shows are any better than the best of the older shows.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

One of the best older shows was Cheers, which was nominated for over a hundred Emmys. Going back and watching it now, the jokes all seem painfully obvious and the characters cliched. Same thing happens when watching other classics like I Love Lucy, Happy Days, Welcome Back Kotter, All in the Family, etc. There's a good reason television got the nickname "the boob tube", nearly all early programming was designed so you could be entertained while resting your brain.

The biggest improvement as far as I'm concerned doesn't have anything to do with sitcoms, however. It's the influence of the DVD boxed sets on action oriented shows. Now that shows are frequently watched in a marathon binge, it's much harder to justify the "new problem comes up and is solved in 45 minutes" approach. Instead, many if not most of those shows now have a lot of emphasis on meta-narrative and multi-episode arcs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 16, 2012, 09:16:04 PM
One of the best older shows was Cheers, which was nominated for over a hundred Emmys. Going back and watching it now, the jokes all seem painfully obvious and the characters cliched. Same thing happens when watching other classics like I Love Lucy, Happy Days, Welcome Back Kotter, All in the Family, etc. There's a good reason television got the nickname "the boob tube", nearly all early programming was designed so you could be entertained while resting your brain.

The biggest improvement as far as I'm concerned doesn't have anything to do with sitcoms, however. It's the influence of the DVD boxed sets on action oriented shows. Now that shows are frequently watched in a marathon binge, it's much harder to justify the "new problem comes up and is solved in 45 minutes" approach. Instead, many if not most of those shows now have a lot of emphasis on meta-narrative and multi-episode arcs.

:bleeding:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

I have the Magnum PI theme song as my cell phone ringtone. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Man, there's a lot of great shows on that list.

I'm going to go with Degrassi Junior High since it's probably the only one I actually watched in the 80s.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I was between 4 and 13 in the 80s. The shows I liked at the time were (keep in mind not all shows made it over the pond):
- Cosby Show
- Our House
- The Fall Guy
- Riptide
- Simon & Simon
- MacGyver
- Knight Rider
- Airwolf
- Street Hawk
- Max Headroom
- Tour of Duty
- ALF
- Who's the Boss
- A-Team
- Schwarzwaldklinik (German hospital drama series that had a huge following at the time)
- Das Boot (tv-miniseries)
- The Wonder Years
- Three's Company
- Yes, Minister/Yes, Prime Minister (they were showing British comedy shows subtitled at the time)
and lots of others I don't quite remember right now.

My parents didn't let me stay up to watch Magnum or Miami Vice at the time which were on late on German tv.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on November 16, 2012, 10:42:41 PM
I have the Magnum PI theme song as my cell phone ringtone. :cool:

Had a co-worker at the old job. One day a new colleague (19 years old) asked if it was some sort of Nintendo 8bit tune. :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

I hope you punched him in the balls. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Scipio

Magnum PI, Cosby, Hill Street Blues, In the Heat of the Night, Night Court, Matlock.  I'm sensing a trend here.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

Quote from: Scipio on November 17, 2012, 09:54:05 AM
Magnum PI, Cosby, Hill Street Blues, In the Heat of the Night, Night Court, Matlock.  I'm sensing a trend here.

You're missing Hunter. And/or Slegde Hammer.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Martinus

Oh yeah. "Yes, Minister" most definitely. Probably one of the very few shows mentioned here that is still watchable and fresh.

sbr

I forgot about Night Court, that was a great show.