News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Nothing like Evefor good or bad depending on how much you like that game.

This is much easier, less learning curve, much more focused on PvE content, with very light death penalty.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

So judging by the latest note, my ticket was WAD: they dont allow you to spend new skillpoints until they open up the non-human-and-non-klingon sectors.

Now, supposedly these are kept closed because they want you to focus. I do have fears, however, (since those sectors are level 16 and up sectors and so no newbs would venture there for long) that they are simply not ready properly, and as I type half a dozen level designers a Cryptic are sweating to get together something resembling content. I sure hope I am wrong.

Berkut

You aren't.

It makes perfect sense, really. There is *never* enough time to get everything done that needs to be done for launch, so of course upper tier content goes unfinished, since they will tell themselves they have time for that later...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Depends on how long they keep those sectors off limits.

There was no such restriction during closed beta.  The content exists.  Whether it's 'finished' enough I don't know.

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on January 14, 2010, 01:03:08 PM
You aren't.

It makes perfect sense, really. There is *never* enough time to get everything done that needs to be done for launch, so of course upper tier content goes unfinished, since they will tell themselves they have time for that later...

And it is incredibly symmetrical with their release of Champions.

Watch for a launch-day quadrupling of the difficulty, folks.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on January 14, 2010, 01:16:37 PM

Why?  The patch notes show that they reduced difficulty on some encounters during the closed beta because they were far more difficult then intended. 

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2010, 01:24:11 PM

Why?  The patch notes show that they reduced difficulty on some encounters during the closed beta because they were far more difficult then intended.

Because Cryptic is full of retards. http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/loadNews/14850

I'm not going anywhere near this game until at least a month after release.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Okay after doing a public mission as part of a patrol mission of mine: I dont care.

I am not sure one bit that once maxing out a character in the full game I will ever start a new one, but I enjoy these early levels very much. It is very hard to resist playing more, but as I said, I know I must because I will have to complete these quests again soon.

Don't start playing this game to see something redefining what MMOs are about (like I did with Warhammer), but play it because you like the idea of blowing stuff up in a very good and authentic looking (and reading and sounding) Star Trek context. That is all this game will probably ever be, but I sure as hell like it a lot so far.

Barrister

Apparently that's what happened on Champions Online.  They greatly reduced the damage characters would do in between the open beta and launch, which got people upset.  Of course crying over "nerfs" is old news in MMOs.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2010, 01:31:54 PM

Apparently that's what happened on Champions Online.  They greatly reduced the damage characters would do in between the open beta and launch, which got people upset.  Of course crying over "nerfs" is old news in MMOs.

I read the link Habbu gave I didnt see anything there to suggest that something will go wrong here.  How many times was WoW rebalanced since release?  The main issue seems to have been that not everyone got to do a free respec.... after they found that their uber power once so uber anymore.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on January 14, 2010, 01:30:16 PM
Don't start playing this game to see something redefining what MMOs are about (like I did with Warhammer), but play it because you like the idea of blowing stuff up in a very good and authentic looking (and reading and sounding) Star Trek context. That is all this game will probably ever be, but I sure as hell like it a lot so far.

That's pretty much my take on it.  I don't know if I'll play this for months and years, but the bits I have played are fun.  It probably wouldn't be as much fun if it wasn't Star Trek, but they do have a nice amount of chrome.  The shots of your ship warping in and out of orbit, the beaming effects, phasers, the opening music... :wub:

And that being said, while it doesn't redefine MMOs, it is significantly different from MMOs.  Ground combat for one, with the player controlling a team instead of an individual, and with it's focus on flanking.  The fact that it has ship combat as well.

Now I'm trying to stay objective here.  I had said the fact I could play on the first day of open beta was a good sign.  Well the fact I couldn't play on the second is not a good sign.  I'll give the developers a couple days to raise the beta level cap, but if it remains in place for awhile I'll be worried.

But Habs and Berkut seem really negative about this game.  I'm not sure why...

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2010, 01:46:56 PM
And that being said, while it doesn't redefine MMOs, it is significantly different from MMOs.  Ground combat for one, with the player controlling a team instead of an individual, and with it's focus on flanking. 

Last night I decided to test out how important flanking was.  I went straight in guns blazing.  The Klingons moved around me and my group to take up flanking positions and handed my ass to me on a platter.   It was great to see.

edit: I must have picked exactly the right time to play last night from the sounds of it.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2010, 01:46:56 PM

But Habs and Berkut seem really negative about this game.  I'm not sure why...

I don't think we are negative, just reasonably skeptical.

It seems "really negative" to you because despite your protestations, your "objectivity" is pretty much non-existent.

Actual objectivity always looks weird to the non-objective. :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned