News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 08, 2010, 04:54:39 PM
:P

Has anybody here *played* it yet?

Moneybags katmai got into the closed beta.  He seemed to like it.

OPen beta starts next Tuesday.  I should get access from my pre-order.  AT least one other person has also pre-ordered.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on January 08, 2010, 04:20:58 PM
So katmai, what are some of the abilities of science vessels (or science officers)?

Can they "heal" other vessels?

Not that i noticed yet, at lower lvl like i am i've noticed more along the lines of de-buffs. Tractor beams to hold ships so you can keep firing on exposed ships, tachyon beams to disrupt cloaked ships, etc...
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on January 08, 2010, 05:00:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 08, 2010, 04:20:58 PM
So katmai, what are some of the abilities of science vessels (or science officers)?

Can they "heal" other vessels?

Not that i noticed yet, at lower lvl like i am i've noticed more along the lines of de-buffs. Tractor beams to hold ships so you can keep firing on exposed ships, tachyon beams to disrupt cloaked ships, etc...

Does that make you feel any better Berkut?

I'm pretty sure I read there was ground based healing.  I read something that they tried to have such healing touch-based (that is the medic had to go right beside the injured player) but it just didn't work and they reluctantly introduced some form of ranged healing.  Most healing was supposed to be done by hypos that officers would carry though.

HVC

I can see "healing" ships in that they beam over engineers to fix certain things on a friendly ship. They won't fix the haul, but they misht be able to raise the shield level, or provide temperary boosts to power that that you can have more power to your weapons. But that being the case they should only be able to do that one ship at a time.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on January 08, 2010, 05:33:12 PM

I'm pretty sure I read there was ground based healing.

Science officers or Science BO's can carry tricorders to heal, and yes if not science branch you have hypos.

katmai

Quote from: HVC on January 08, 2010, 05:41:59 PM
I can see "healing" ships in that they beam over engineers to fix certain things on a friendly ship. They won't fix the haul, but they misht be able to raise the shield level, or provide temperary boosts to power that that you can have more power to your weapons. But that being the case they should only be able to do that one ship at a time.

The shielding of ships and beaming of engineers falls under the cruiser iirc.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

katmai

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 08, 2010, 03:45:23 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 08, 2010, 03:13:39 PM
The series didn't use terms like "cruiser" or "battlecruiser" either.  Those (and frigate and the like) were added by the Technical Manual.

Not quite true.  The Enterprise was called a battlecruiser in Star Trek III.  Other than that and the Defiant, the only "classified" ship that pops to mind is the Centaur, classified as a frigate.
So what was added in the 1975 technical manual was used in the 1984 movie? Okay.  What is "not quite true" about my statement, then?  I admit that I am not up to date enough in my geekness to state that the Centaur was rated as a frigate, but I seem to recall that the concept of calling Star Fleet ship battlescruisers and dreadnoughts and stuff was added by the Tech Manual, in 1975.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on January 08, 2010, 05:00:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03E68F6599Q&feature=related

:P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

So grumbler, any chance you're going to join us in Star Trek Online?