News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandru H.

I find it weird to see Klingons enemies of the Federation at that later timeperiod. Wouldn't have been more sensible to place Romulans and Cardassians as enemies? Or at least a three faction war among the humans, romulans and klingons? With the ferengi as a trading race and the Borg as an enemy that forces the three sides to cooperate...

And Tamas is right. A Star Trek MMORPG should be about team exploration, team warfare etc... Ok, let the players solo but favor through game machanics the ones that prefer to join a starship vessel. Who wouldn't want to be Wesley Crusher?  :rolleyes:

Tamas

Yeah however, sadly, and very ironically, team-based MMOs fail. Vanguard tried to force team content heavily and it sunk it, Warhammer is dying despite having done the teamplay aspect way, way better than Vanguard.

Jaron

This game is going to be great.

If all else fails and it does suck, we can just go around the sun quick and tell the developers what they  needed to do 6 months ago.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Been looking online.  While I still have the same reservations I had as before, there's no chance I won't be buying this.  :blush:

The open beta with pre-order starts January 12th.

And if I spend an extra $10 on the Atari Deluxe Digital Download, you get such extras as:

QuoteTOS Uniform Set (in-game item):  3 Uniforms from the Original series (blue, red, yellow)
Joined Trill: Play as a Joined Trill. Joined Trill come with a symbiote that grants you several lifetimes of experience. The "Joined" species trait grants you a bonus to 5 skills.
Exclusive "KHAAAN!" Emote (in-game item):  An unforgettable moment from the second Star Trek Film.  This exclusive emote allows players to relive Kirk's unforgettable moment of fury, with the timeless cry... "KHAAAN!"
Exclusive Klingon Blood Wine Toast Emote (in-game item): Raise a glass like a Klingon! Greet and interact with other players with an exclusive Klingon gesture -the blood wine toast.
Unique Registry Prefix (in-game item): Give your ship the coveted NX prefix, seen only on a handful of elite Starfleet vessels like the Defiant, 22nd century Enterprise, and Prometheus."
Unique Ship Item (in-game item): - Automated Defense Battery.  This Tactical Module that grants any  ship a passive 360 arc attack power with a short range.

:nerd:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I'm holding off till the Star Wars MMO comes out. -_-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

I'm going to play & It's going to be awesome.

Altho, I have no intention to pre-order, I'll wait for the January 16th Open Beta.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 28, 2009, 01:00:17 PM
People of the No Screenshot or Video crowd :

Did you not look on IGN's website?

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/142/14270158/vids_1.html

There are lots of screenshots and video, but non appear to be 'true' screenshots - that is screenshots just as it would appear if you were playing.

DisturbedPervert

The Star Trek game I want is a multiplayer, 64 person, simulator.  Option of more than 2 sides and multiple solar systems.  Ships could be commanded by a single person, but preferably by a small crew.  You'd fight it out to accomplish your mission objectives, optionally as part of a larger campaign. 

Barrister

As I mentioned months before, it sounds very boring to me to play, say, the medical officer and be stuck in sick bay while other players are doing away missions or what not.

I think I like the model they've gone with.  You play a ship's captain, but you have persistent Bridge Officers who can gain experience and skills with you.  To put it in WoW terms it's as if every player is a hunter and can have multiple pets out at the same time.

Grallon

Quote from: Syt on December 28, 2009, 12:44:06 PM

You're looking forward to more grinding?  :hmm:

EDIT: More grinding *and* 72900000 jedis/siths

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Alcibiades

Don't bring WOW references in here please, thanks.

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Grey Fox

Quote from: Alcibiades on December 28, 2009, 02:11:41 PM
Don't bring WOW references in here please, thanks.

WoW is everywhere, one cannot escape it.

Syt

Quote from: Grallon on December 28, 2009, 02:11:38 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 28, 2009, 12:44:06 PM

You're looking forward to more grinding?  :hmm:

EDIT: More grinding *and* 72900000 jedis/siths

G.

You're forgetting 70000000 bounty hunters. ;)

Classes are:
Trooper, smuggler, jedi knight, jedi consular (Republic)
Bounty Hunter, Sith warrior, Imperial agent, Sith inquisitor (Sith)
http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/classes
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Old Republic doesn't look like it's going to be ready anytime soon tho.