News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

Quote from: Tamas on May 16, 2009, 10:01:31 AM
This will suck. it should be about multiple players per ship, lots players per big ship or starbase actually with instanced quests. Not this BS.

sounds likes it's Star Fleet Battles Online. its not BS, but its just one element of Star Trek.

I imagine a planet-exploring RPG would also alienate a given amount of potential MMP-ers.
humans were created in their own image

Tamas

I don't get you guys. This will suck sweaty gorilla balls and its written all over it. Not because it will be different from the WoW clones, but because IT WILL BE a WoW clone. Its so obvious it hurts.

Barrister

Well I for one hope that it's great, although I expect it won't be.  :)

And I for one would have no interest in playing Redshirt #3 on some Federation starship whose captain is some 19 year old university dropout.  Gimme my own damn ship thank you very much.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Hell, I would be all for the "characters" in the game being the ships themselves, with the crew being one of the many attributes that can be upgraded, like a skill.

Quest #4354.5: Collect 25 Cardassian Gas Polarity Modules from the Gamma Quadrant. Bring friends.
Reward: Science Officer 3rd Class Bob!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on May 22, 2009, 10:30:55 AM
And I for one would have no interest in playing Redshirt #3 on some Federation starship whose captain is some 19 year old university dropout.  Gimme my own damn ship thank you very much.
Well since you've played WoW you should be used to that sort of thing by now.  I assume you've been in a guild.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

saskganesh

sure. but the federation could be controlled by a cabal of 14 year old girls who'll order your starship to be painted pink.

if your playing MMORPG's, your game-mates are essentially random. I guess you can inoculate yourself by forming guilds, and ignoring the rest of them, but then that raises the question: why be massive?
humans were created in their own image

Tonitrus

Quote from: saskganesh on May 22, 2009, 08:00:33 PM

sure. but the federation could be controlled by a cabal of 14 year old girls who'll order your starship to be painted pink.

if your playing MMORPG's, your game-mates are essentially random. I guess you can inoculate yourself by forming guilds, and ignoring the rest of them, but then that raises the question: why be massive?

And the Federation will essentially be a bunch of guilds/gangs, like all other MMORPGS.

"d00d, i ned halp aginst the r0mulans, halp!"

"no wai, joo ganked my gorn batlecruser last nite,, fu"

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Berkut on May 22, 2009, 10:34:30 AM
Hell, I would be all for the "characters" in the game being the ships themselves, with the crew being one of the many attributes that can be upgraded, like a skill.

Quest #4354.5: Collect 25 Cardassian Gas Polarity Modules from the Gamma Quadrant. Bring friends.

that would not be a bad way to go about it.

Josquius

It is indeed bad sounding but MMORPGs aren't great anyway.
A game where people crew the ship and go to planets on missions and stuff...That would be much better as a single player game.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on May 22, 2009, 10:34:30 AM

That would be cool. 
PDH!

Barrister

The Space Network has been running some old Star Trek movies, so I thought I'd check on the progress of Star Trek: Online.

Apparently it goes live February 2nd.

Doesn't seem like a very long development time, and search I couldn't find any full in-game screenshots.  But still they're taking pre-orders on Steam.

Man I hope against all reason that this doesn't suck.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Yeah I am not re-subbing to any MMO until some initial impressions on this come in, but it will probably suck.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on December 28, 2009, 12:58:57 AM
Doesn't seem like a very long development time, and search I couldn't find any full in-game screenshots.  But still they're taking pre-orders on Steam.

Well, shit.  That's never a good sign.  No beta shots, no convention interviews, no press.
It's gonna suck.

Syt

Isn't it from the same team/devs/publisher/whatever who brought out Champions Online last year? That game left me rather: meh. :mellow:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 28, 2009, 05:26:56 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 28, 2009, 12:58:57 AM

Well, shit.  That's never a good sign.  No beta shots, no convention interviews, no press.
It's gonna suck.

Yeah, the hype machine should be whirling at full speed already.