NFL Week 11: Where's the back up QB? WHERES THE OVERRIDE? THE OVERRIDE?

Started by CountDeMoney, November 15, 2012, 08:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on November 21, 2012, 08:50:13 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 21, 2012, 08:37:15 PM

Okay then, by that standard Bill Belichick's been to seven. He was defensive coordinator for the Giants when they won in 1986 and 1990.
Not since he won his last won one.  What, don't you know how to read?
That's true, but I think it bolsters his claim to genius. How many coaches ever have won 5 Superbowls and gone to 2 more as the Head Coach/O or D coordinator?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 21, 2012, 10:58:15 PM
That's true, but I think it bolsters his claim to genius. How many coaches ever have won 5 Superbowls and gone to 2 more as the Head Coach/O or D coordinator?

O or D coordinator doesn't count nearly as much as head coach.  Anyone with half a brain would realize that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Where the fuck did these two other Superbowl wins magically appear for Bellicheat?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

Quote from: Neil on November 21, 2012, 08:50:13 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 21, 2012, 08:37:15 PM

Okay then, by that standard Bill Belichick's been to seven. He was defensive coordinator for the Giants when they won in 1986 and 1990.
Not since he won his last won one.  What, don't you know how to read?

Not sure but that group excludes Belichick. :huh:

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2012, 12:57:26 PM
Quote from: dps on November 21, 2012, 11:13:54 AM
(interestingly, Landry didn't really get that label, probably because it took several years for his team to actually start winning.  The media focused more on his stoicism on the sidelines than his innovation).

Are you kidding?  It only took about 5 seasons for him to turn the Cowboys around and then go straight on a 20 year winning streak, and he was already considered an innovator in the league by then for inventing the flex defense.  "The media focused more on his stoicism on the sidelines than his innovation"...what fucking media were you watching?

Hmm.  I suppose that my impression of how the media viewed him was already set before the cowboys won their first Super Bow.  That was how he was portrayed at that time--The Mechanical Man, who never showed emotion on the sidelines.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on November 21, 2012, 11:39:05 PM
Hmm.  I suppose that my impression of how the media viewed him was already set before the cowboys won their first Super Bow.  That was how he was portrayed at that time--The Mechanical Man, who never showed emotion on the sidelines.

True, but quite frankly--as someone who actually remembers--the man was already lumped next to Shula as Living Legend status by the 1970s.  Hell, he was already considered a God while Chuck Knoll's biggest problem was trying to get past the Raiders.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on November 21, 2012, 11:01:57 PM

O or D coordinator doesn't count nearly as much as head coach.  Anyone with half a brain would realize that.
Neil brought that up, I just responded in kind.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 22, 2012, 12:17:56 AM

True, but quite frankly--as someone who actually remembers--the man was already lumped next to Shula as Living Legend status by the 1970s.  Hell, he was already considered a God while Chuck Knoll's biggest problem was trying to get past the Raiders.

He was seen as both.  The human computer who invented the 4-3 (or at least a version) to stop Jim Brown, the Flex to stop the Packers "Run to Daylight", calling plays from the sidelines, that goofy linemen stand up and back to stance during motion, use of motion on every play, and those made him a genius.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

dps

Quote from: PDH on November 22, 2012, 09:08:40 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 22, 2012, 12:17:56 AM

He was seen as both.  The human computer who invented the 4-3 (or at least a version) to stop Jim Brown, the Flex to stop the Packers "Run to Daylight", calling plays from the sidelines, that goofy linemen stand up and back to stance during motion, use of motion on every play, and those made him a genius.

I guess my perception of how the media viewed Landry is skewed by the fact that I'm old enough to remember how the media was saw Lombardi as his superior.

jimmy olsen

The Pats were so terrible when I was a kid.

QuotePerhaps most eye-opening, especially for longtime fans, the 190-point four-game total is more than the 1990 Rod Rust Patriots had for the entire season (181).

EDIT: My bad, meant to post this in week 12.

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on November 22, 2012, 06:00:23 PM
I guess my perception of how the media viewed Landry is skewed by the fact that I'm old enough to remember how the media was saw Lombardi as his superior.

Lombardi was, is and ever will be everyone's superior.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 24, 2012, 10:02:13 AM
Quote from: dps on November 22, 2012, 06:00:23 PM

Lombardi was, is and ever will be everyone's superior.

True.