Fiscal Cliff MEGATHREAD: Wile E. Economy falls off, lands in cloud at bottom

Started by CountDeMoney, November 13, 2012, 10:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Don't forget the foreclosure/short sale write-down tax exemption. That's big. They extended it one more year.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Would any of the people who were vehemently defending Obama's deficit reduction credentials during the last debt limit crisis like to comment on the current state of affairs?

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2013, 09:57:14 AM
Would any of the people who were vehemently defending Obama's deficit reduction credentials during the last debt limit crisis like to comment on the current state of affairs?

I'm guessing their answer will mostly include bitching about how the GOP doesn't "really" want to reduce spending.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on January 04, 2013, 09:59:55 AM
I'm guessing their answer will mostly include bitching about how the GOP doesn't "really" want to reduce spending.

10 fake quatloos says the run away run away faction will outnumber the change the subject faction.

Razgovory

Why?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 04, 2013, 10:15:18 AM

Why?

:hmm: Intellectual honesty?  Integrity?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2013, 10:16:24 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 04, 2013, 10:15:18 AM

Why?

:hmm: Intellectual honesty?  Integrity?

What about it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Razgovory

I'm not seeing what he's getting at.  The new deal will reduce the deficit correct?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 04, 2013, 10:26:00 AM
I'm not seeing what he's getting at.  The new deal will reduce the deficit correct?

Of course not.  Look at Phil's little table.  The deal cost 197 billion in lost revenue on middle class income tax.  11 billion in delayed cuts in Medicare payments.  30 billion in another year of extended unemployment benefits.

Obama supporters were crowing back in the summer about his offer to Boehner of gigantic cuts in spending in exchange for minimal increases in taxes on the rich.  That has disappeared.  The sequester that was the result of the GOP holding the debt limit hostage is on life support.  The reduction in payments to Medicare providers that was supposed to make Obamacare revenue neutral is proving to be the sham it was predicted to be.

So I'm offering this opportunity for Obama deficit hawk cheerleaders to man up and admit they had it wrong.

Razgovory

The article that came with it the table (from your favorite newsource!) said otherwise.

QuoteThe deal cuts $737 billion from deficits over the coming decade, primarily through $618 billion of higher taxes on the rich and the resulting interest savings. But that barely dents the $10 trillion in deficits America was on track to accumulate in that time, roughly 5% of GDP on current policies, according to the Congressional Budget Office

So not much, but a little.