News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Texas independance

Started by viper37, November 13, 2012, 12:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Pretty sure that wouldn't be true.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2012, 10:08:31 AM
So you like microstates but not micronations?

My jokes about my civic pride in Austin and contempt for the rest of the State may not be designed to be entirely consistent with my political ideas, being jokes and all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2012, 01:23:00 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 14, 2012, 01:15:44 AM
I think the only states that would enjoy Texan secession more are the other 49 states who'd have the opportunity to beat Texas down :lol:

This is probably true. :lol:  Texans can be insufferable.  We should spare Austin.  I hear it has a good music scene and I think Valmy lives there.
My cousin was asked to play there.  So, no, it does not have a good music scene by any definition of 'music'.  Computer generated noise in not music.   :yuk:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Maybe it's better when your cousin isn't there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: dps on November 14, 2012, 09:54:06 AM
No, it wouldn't require negotiations.  It would require winning a civil war.  We've sort of already established that.
They seceded and then tried to seize Federal property.  It hardly sets a precedent.
The secession was judged illegal because there wasn't anything in the Constitution supporting it.  Lots of things were not in the Constitution, many amendments were passed.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2012, 11:26:28 AM
If there's a metal scene, it's good.  If no, they have no musical tastes.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2012, 11:36:32 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2012, 11:26:28 AM
If there's a metal scene, it's good.  If no, they have no musical tastes.

Fuck that noise.  Give me some Rhythm and Blues anytime.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2012, 09:58:09 AM
This is probably true. :lol:  Texans can be insufferable.  We should spare Austin.  I hear it has a good music scene and I think Valmy lives there.

Yeah I have not checked the locations of the people signing this petition but I bet alot of them are signing it just for that reason.

And frankly if they do secede I hope Austin gets to remain behind.  We should be our own state.

I think Texas has the right to break into smaller states doesn't it?
PDH!

mongers

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 14, 2012, 03:50:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2012, 09:58:09 AM

Yeah I have not checked the locations of the people signing this petition but I bet alot of them are signing it just for that reason.

And frankly if they do secede I hope Austin gets to remain behind.  We should be our own state.

Yeah I was asking about this earlier in the thread, I'd read about it as a child and wonder what the truth was.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 14, 2012, 03:50:11 PM

Ok my memory of this is rather spotty so I could be wrong in the specifics but here goes:

This provision had to do with slavery and was because at the time of annexation few Texans were slave holders and a piece of Texas' claimed territory was north of the Missouri compromise line.  The idea was, in order to keep the compromise line intact and to keep the balance of states even, to form a free state out of Texas territory north of the line and then split the southern part into two slave states and another free state.  But this was all scraped in 1850 since the Compromise of 1850 and the admission of California as a free state nuked the Missouri compromise and made the whole scheme unnecessary.  Another factor was once Texas became part of the Union slaves owners and their slaves swarmed in for the cheap land and eliminated the prospect of carving any free states out of Texas anyway.  Of course we could still do it if both the Texas Congress and US Congress agreed to split the state up but that is true for every state under the US Constitution.

So anyway it was just an odd provision that was never a right of Texas anyway.  It was just a statement that 'we might do this if we have to' to resolve the issues around slavery.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

Razgovory

Um thanks, Phil.  I'm sure everyone on this board appreciates that contribution as much as I do.

Eddie Teach

Maybe he was hypnotized by the boobies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Speaking of Texas independence, I enjoyed Columbia' Texas Glory game. Rules simple enough a woman can grasp them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive