News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your conflicted/ambivalent news of the day

Started by Martinus, November 15, 2012, 09:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on November 15, 2012, 11:25:36 AM
The Huffington Post is turning into the Daily Mail. It is against press principles to mention details that are irrelevant to the story and might prejudice readers. For the fact he was gay to be in the headline and opener is inexcusable unless he killed himself over some anti-gay policy, but that obviously isn't the case. I've read whole articles in even our least salubrious newspapers and been pleasantly surprised when they mention a same-sex partner at the end without the sexuality of the subject being mentioned.

It's ok to pander to the reader's prejudices, if you are doing it from the "stupid Uncle Toms" left wing perspective.  :secret:

Exempli gratia:

"Stupid blacks voted for Obama" <- Racism.
"Stupid blacks voted for Prop 8" <- Anti-racist commentary on the patriarchal system keeping racial minorities ignorant and uneducated.

Capetan Mihali

I liked the note, though:  "Do not revive!  Fuck Obama!" pretty much says it all.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Larch

The Huffington Post is turning into the Daily Mail. It is against press principles to mention details that are irrelevant to the story and might prejudice readers. For the fact he was gay to be in the headline and opener is inexcusable unless he killed himself over some anti-gay policy, but that obviously isn't the case. I've read whole articles in even our least salubrious newspapers and been pleasantly surprised when they mention a same-sex partner at the end without the sexuality of the subject being mentioned.

But the article that started the thread is not from the Huffington Post, it's from a gay news portal. Saying that the guy that killed himself was gay is their justification for talking about it in the first place.

Eddie Teach

Shoulda lit himself on fire if he really wanted to stick it to Obama.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on November 15, 2012, 12:29:16 PM

But the article that started the thread is not from the Huffington Post, it's from a gay news portal. Saying that the guy that killed himself was gay is their justification for talking about it in the first place.

And Marti's. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

OK...I missed that it came from a gay newspaper.

But in that case, wouldn't it be obvious he was gay. They wouldn't write that story if he wasn't. It's a bit redundant.

Years ago, Monty Python had a skit "news for birds".

"No birds were killed in a plane crash that killed 200 humans."

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

I'm glad to know that Pink News isn't up to your editorial standards. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.