Elmo on leave from Sesame Street amid gay underage relationship rumors

Started by Syt, November 12, 2012, 12:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/12/voice-of-elmo-on-leave-after-denying-relationship-with-teen/?sr=fbmain

QuoteVoice of Elmo on leave after denying 'underage conduct' with teen

The puppeteer who provides the voice of Elmo is on a leave of absence from Sesame Street after denying he had an inappropriate relationship with a teenage boy.

Sesame Street Workshop says it found the allegation against Kevin Clash "unsubstantiated," and granted him leave as he takes "actions to protect his reputation."

In June, the workshop heard from a 23-year-old man who claimed that he had "a relationship" with Clash beginning when he was 16 years old, the workshop said in a written statement.

The statement did not use the word "sexual."

"We took the allegation very seriously and took immediate action. We met with the accuser twice and had repeated communications with him. We met with Kevin, who denied the accusation. We also conducted a thorough investigation and found the allegation of underage conduct to be unsubstantiated. Although this was a personal relationship unrelated to the workplace, our investigation did reveal that Kevin exercised poor judgment and violated company policy regarding internet usage and he was disciplined," the Sesame Street Workshop statement said.

"Kevin insists that the allegation of underage conduct is false and defamatory and he is taking actions to protect his reputation. We have granted him a leave of absence to do so.

"Elmo is bigger than any one person and will continue to be an integral part of Sesame Street to engage, educate and inspire children around the world, as it has for 40 years."

CNN could not reach Clash immediately for a response.  TMZ reported that Clash said his relationship with the accuser "was between two consenting adults and I am deeply saddened that he is trying to make it into something it was not."

Last year, Clash spoke to CNN about the magic of Elmo, a "mirror image" for kids.

Clash, 52, has won Emmy Awards for his work on Sesame Street.

He once spoke with NYC Dads, an initiative of New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, about how he worked to spend time with his daughter who lives with his ex-wife outside of Baltimore.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

He's a respected artist who has made a significant contribution to human civilization. All accusations of Elmo rape should be ignored.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 12, 2012, 12:37:21 PM
He's a respected artist who has made a significant contribution to human civilization. All accusations of Elmo rape should be ignored.

:lol:

Rough year for Sesame Street.  First a Presidential Candidate makes the extermination of Big Bird a campaign promise now gay statutory rape scandals.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 12, 2012, 12:37:21 PM

Exactly.  NO EXTRADITION FROM SEASAME STREET

Martinus

Well, admittedly, the relationship with the young guy would have been legal in most civilised countries (where the age of consent is 15 or 16) and the guy is claiming that they did not consummate the relationship until he was 18.

Still funny as balls.

garbon

And the claims have been recanted.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2012, 10:43:28 PM
:sigh:
:hug:

Anyone, is it really a surprise that a man hat plays with dolls and puppets for a living like 'em young? Turns out he didn't consummate until of age, but still creepy.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

garbon

HVC

Quote from: garbon on November 13, 2012, 10:48:52 PM
Is it creepy that a 45 year old had sec with someone 18?
well yes :D but more so that he basically been planning it since before he was 18.

Shawshank marrying that 18 year is and was creepy too.

CountDeMoney

I don't see it as that much of an outlier. :unsure:

Martinus

I think so, yes. And paradoxically, especially if it was in a relationship and they knew each other before the kid was 18*.

I wouldn't have that much of a problem if this was a one night stand, but there is a creepy whiff of "grooming" there.

*Of course, I think that 18 is too high and it should be between 14-16 as in most civilised countries. But if there is so much of the age difference and a relationship that starts in adolescence, it is creepy. I wouldn't have a problem if it was a 24 y.o. having sex with a 18 y.o.