Israel fires warning shots into Syrian territory

Started by jimmy olsen, November 11, 2012, 09:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

If it was an accident, seems odd that it just managed to hit an Israeli military outpost coincidentally.  :hmm:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57548143/israel-fires-warning-shots-into-syrian-territory/
QuoteNovember 11, 2012, 8:58 AM
Israel fires warning shots into Syrian territory

JERUSALEM Israel was drawn into the Syrian civil war for the first time on Sunday, firing warning shots into the neighboring country after a stray mortar shell fired from Syrian territory hit an Israeli military post.

The Israeli military said the mortar fire caused no injuries or damage at the post in the Golan Heights, which Israel captured from Syria in the 1967 Mideast war and then annexed. But in recent weeks, incidents of errant fire from Syria have multiplied, leading Israel to warn that it holds Syria responsible for fire on Israeli-held territory.

"A short while ago, a mortar shell targeted an IDF (Israel Defense Forces) post in the Golan Heights," said army spokeswoman Lt. Col. Avital Leibovich. "We answered with a warning shot toward Syrian areas. We understand this was a mistake and was not meant to target Israel and then that is why we fired a warning shot in retaliation."

The Israeli military also said it has filed a complaint through United Nations forces operating in the area, stating that "fire emanating from Syria into Israel will not be tolerated and shall be responded to with severity."

Israel and Syria are bitter foes who have fought several wars, but their shared border has been mostly quiet since a 1974 cease-fire. Still, Israel worries that Syria's civil war could spill across into the Golan, and repeated errant fire has intensified that concern.

Israel fears that if Syrian President Bashar Assad's regime is toppled, the country could fall into the hands of Islamic extremists or descend into sectarian warfare, destabilizing the region.

Israeli officials do not see Assad trying to intentionally draw Israel into the fighting, but have raised the possibility of his targeting Israel in an act of desperation. They also fear that Syria's stockpile of chemical weapons or other weapons could slip into the hands of Lebanon's militant Hezbollah group — a close Syrian ally — or reach other militants if Assad loses power.

Israeli officials also worry that the frontier region could turn into a lawless area like Egypt's Sinai desert, which Islamic militants now use as a launching ground for strikes against southern Israel.

Speaking to his Cabinet on Sunday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel is "closely monitoring" the border with Syria and is "ready for any development."

© 2012 The Associated Press. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

If the shell caused no injuries or damage... then it didn't actually hit the post.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Tamas

I hope they'll keep their cool. You are not drawn in this way unless you want to get drawn.

At the onset of the recent Balkan Wars, Hungarian villages on the Serbian borders were regularly shelled. Luckily we didn't get involved.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on November 11, 2012, 10:37:15 AM
Luckily we didn't get involved.

Yes, a lot of European countries could say that.  Unfortunately.

Sheilbh

This makes me think things aren't looking good for Assad.  Trying to drag Israel in is normally the sort of last hope of an Arab tyrant.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 11, 2012, 11:54:19 AM
This makes me think things aren't looking good for Assad.  Trying to drag Israel in is normally the sort of last hope of an Arab tyrant.

One 82mm mortar round does not a war make.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: mongers on November 11, 2012, 01:07:35 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 11, 2012, 11:54:19 AM

One 82mm mortar round does not a war make.

Saddam >>>>>> Assad
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2012, 11:33:57 AM

You surely must understand that the European Great Powers not interfering in a war they could end at a whim and where they have no direct national interests, is quite different to Hungary getting involved, who had a weak army, a shaky political system from the recent change from communism, and hundreds of thousands of Hungarians on the Serbian side of the border.

Razgovory

I thought hundreds of thousands of Hungarians across the border would mean you do have a national interest.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on November 11, 2012, 01:13:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2012, 11:33:57 AM

You surely must understand that the European Great Powers not interfering in a war they could end at a whim and where they have no direct national interests, is quite different to Hungary getting involved, who had a weak army, a shaky political system from the recent change from communism, and hundreds of thousands of Hungarians on the Serbian side of the border.

I hold your entire continent responsible for its moral cowardice.

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2012, 01:19:29 PM
I thought hundreds of thousands of Hungarians across the border would mean you do have a national interest.

Yes. That was my point. CdM made it sound like Hungary refused to act as a kind of peacekeeper interventioning country. There was no way to do that. It would had been personal.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2012, 01:23:14 PM
We intervene when it's personal.

Except when:
-you are in no shape to fight
-have no real hope to resolve the situation by border change
-do not feel like engaging in mutual ethnic cleansings

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2012, 01:19:29 PM

I think they were, which meant Hungary not intervening, otherwise how do you think Milosevic would have reacted ?

Maybe a bit of light ethnic cleansing in Vojvodina before lunch, followed by wholesale expulsions across the border by supper ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on November 11, 2012, 01:26:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2012, 01:23:14 PM
We intervene when it's personal.

Except when:
-you are in no shape to fight
-have no real hope to resolve the situation by border change
-do not feel like engaging in mutual ethnic cleansings

We still intervene in those cases.