Israel fires warning shots into Syrian territory

Started by jimmy olsen, November 11, 2012, 09:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on November 11, 2012, 01:27:22 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2012, 01:19:29 PM
I thought hundreds of thousands of Hungarians across the border would mean you do have a national interest.

I think they were, which meant Hungary not intervening, otherwise how do you think Milosevic would have reacted ?

Maybe a bit of light ethnic cleansing in Vojvodina before lunch, followed by wholesale expulsions across the border by supper ?

Hard to expel the populace when that area has been overtaken by an armored division.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on November 11, 2012, 01:29:48 PM
I thought hundreds of thousands of Hungarians across the border would mean you do have a national interest.

I think they were, which meant Hungary not intervening, otherwise how do you think Milosevic would have reacted ?

Maybe a bit of light ethnic cleansing in Vojvodina before lunch, followed by wholesale expulsions across the border by supper ?

An army made to appear as an actual army so the Soviets are happy, attacking an army made to hold together Yugoslavia, defending its home turf? Thanks, but no thanks.

Hard to expel the populace when that area has been overtaken by an armored division.

Razgovory

It's not like the Serbs were great fighters, they were beaten by  the military superpowers of Slovenia and Croatia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

mongers

Am having a hard time seeing the post-communist remnants of the Hungarian army invading and defeating a significant part of the ex-Yugoslav army.

If you want to place blame for the failure to stop enthnic war in the Former-Yugoslavian republics might I suggest you look at, oh I don't know, maybe Germany, France, Italy, the UK and the EU rather than Hungary on its own.   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Neil

Could the Europeans 'great powers' (by which I assume we mean Germany, the UK and France) have ended the war on a whim?  Mitterrand blamed everybody else for aggravating the problem, and so was somewhat intractable.  Major was lost in space with a policy that amounted to 'why can't we all just get along' and focusing on domestic policy so that he could try and hold off a revitalized Labour opposition.  As for Germany, their moral cowardice would preclude taking any action or leading anything.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

Quote from: Neil on November 11, 2012, 01:44:37 PM
Could the Europeans 'great powers' (by which I assume we mean Germany, the UK and France) have ended the war on a whim?  Mitterrand blamed everybody else for aggravating the problem, and so was somewhat intractable.  Major was lost in space with a policy that amounted to 'why can't we all just get along' and focusing on domestic policy so that he could try and hold off a revitalized Labour opposition.  As for Germany, their moral cowardice would preclude taking any action or leading anything.

Well there's something in that, though I'm of the opinion that this was the opportunity for the EU as a whole to act, which it singularly failed to do.  So I can also see where cdm is coming from.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on November 11, 2012, 01:40:24 PM

Am having a hard time seeing the post-communist remnants of the Hungarian army invading and defeating a significant part of the ex-Yugoslav army.

If you want to place blame for the failure to stop enthnic war in the Former-Yugoslavian republics might I suggest you look at, oh I don't know, maybe Germany, France, Italy, the UK and the EU rather than Hungary on its own.

Oh I blame them all.

celedhring

Which makes the EU getting the Nobel Peace Prize even more ridiculous.

Neil

Quote from: mongers on November 11, 2012, 01:51:43 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 11, 2012, 01:44:37 PM
Well there's something in that, though I'm of the opinion that this was the opportunity for the EU as a whole to act, which it singularly failed to do.  So I can also see where cdm is coming from.
Given that the EU can't do anything without those three agreeing to it, I don't think that was realistic.  Major wasn't entirely convinced that the EU was a legitimate venue to organize the use of force when compared to the UN, and even if Kohl wanted to he could never have managed to deploy German troops in Yugoslavia.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.