Obama, Part II: Remodeling the cabinetry

Started by CountDeMoney, November 08, 2012, 04:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2012, 04:36:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2012, 04:35:01 PM
See, what I mean?

I'm waiting  :whistle:

What, you act like I don't like needling you.  You failing to give me a reason to stop doesn't exactly break my heart. :lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2012, 04:39:04 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2012, 04:36:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2012, 04:35:01 PM
See, what I mean?

I'm waiting  :whistle:

What, you act like I don't like needling you.  You failing to give me a reason to stop doesn't exactly break my heart. :lol:

Promise you'll stop asking and I'll tell you one more time :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I'm not going to promise anything.  You could tell me something that completely non-nonsensical that would require followup questions.  Like she was being affected by Liberal moonbeams or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2012, 04:44:33 PM
Like she was being affected by Liberal moonbeams or something.

Dang.  Well there goes that one.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2012, 04:12:30 PM
You have a me-fixation.

Anyway, I've given you my reason at least once.  You didn't like the reason, which is fine, but don't pretend I never told you why I opposed her nomination.

I missed the part where you gave a reason as well. If you have a link to the post, I'd be happy to check it out. I honestly never came across a single place where the case against Rice was articulated clearly. That's not to stay that there was no such case, but I never saw it or even a succinct summary of it.

Phillip V

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Kleves on December 15, 2012, 12:56:14 PM
Quote from: Kleves on December 15, 2012, 12:30:23 PM
Breaking News: Hillary Clinton faints, has concussion. No more info yet. :hmm:
QuoteWashington (CNN) -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton sustained a concussion after becoming dehydrated and fainting, a State Department official said. Clinton had been suffering from a stomach virus at the time, according to a statement on Saturday from Philippe Reines, deputy assistant secretary of state.

She is being monitored by doctors and is recovering at home. She was never hospitalized, Reines said.

"At their recommendation, she will continue to work from home next week, staying in regular contact with Department and other officials. She is looking forward to being back in the office soon," Reines said.

Clinton had been scheduled to testify next week before the House Foreign Affairs Committee on the deadly attack in September on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

But she is not expected to appear at that time because of the health issue.

The September 11, 2012, attack resulted in the deaths of four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens, and called into question the security of U.S. diplomatic personnel abroad.

She's been hospitalized due to a blood clot caused by the above concussion.

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/30/16255487-hillary-clinton-hospitalized-after-doctors-discover-blood-clot?lite

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

A nefarious plot to remove her from 2016 contention.

derspiess

Boy, she really must not want to testify!  :ph34r:

In all seriousness, I hope she pulls through & is no worse for the wear.

CountDeMoney

QuoteJohn Brennan tapped to lead CIA

President Barack Obama will announce Monday that he's nominating the White House's point person on counterterrorism, John Brennan, to be the next director of the Central Intelligence Agency, White House officials told POLITICO.

Brennan, a 25-year veteran of the CIA, currently holds the title of Deputy National Security Adviser for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism. He's expected to appear with Obama later Monday at a White House event where the president will also announce his nomination of former Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) to be the next defense secretary.

"Brennan's career of service and extraordinary record has prepared him to be an outstanding director of the CIA. Brennan served for decades at the Agency. Since 9/11, he has been on the front lines in the fight against al Qaeda. Over the past four years, he has been involved in virtually all major national security issues and will be able to hit the ground running at CIA," the White House said in talking points supporting his nomination provided to POLITICO early Monday.

White House officials also underscored the close working relationship Brennan has developed with the president over the past four years, as Brennan led the administration's response to a string of attempted terrorist attacks.

"Brennan has the full trust and confidence of the President," the talking points say. "For four years, he has seen the President every day, and been by his side for some of his toughest decisions — including the decision to launch the bin Laden raid. Brennan is as close to President Obama as any member of his national security team."

Brennan has been deeply involved in the Obama administration's aggressive use of drones to kill suspected terrorists in Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia and elsewhere. He was reportedly considered as a possible CIA director at the outset of Obama's first term but took his name out of the running after liberals charged that he was complicit in waterboarding and other tough interrogation tactics that President George W. Bush's administration used against terror suspects.

In what appears to be an effort to assuage civil liberties groups and other activists who spoke out against Brennan four years ago, the White House underscored that he has worked to make sure that counterterrorism efforts are closely monitored, conducted according to legal principles and as transparent as feasible.

"Brennan has been an advocate for greater transparency in our counter-terrorism policy, and adherence to the rule of law. He has spoken out repeatedly about the need for strong oversight and review of our counter-terrorism actions, and has led efforts within the government to ensure that we put those ideals into practice," the talking points say.

If confirmed, Brennan would fill a vacancy created when retired Gen. David Petraeus abruptly resigned as CIA director in November after acknowledging an extramarital affair. Deputy CIA Director Michael Morell has been filling in as acting director since Petraeus left and was also considered a leading contender for the nomination set to be announced Monday.

Before becoming a top adviser to Obama during the 2008 campaign, Brennan spent more than two decades at the CIA as an analyst and served as the agency's station chief in Saudi Arabia. During the Bush era, he served as deputy executive director of the CIA and later as director of the National Counterterrorism Center.

CountDeMoney

Lindsey Graham has more kittens!

QuoteSen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Sunday called former Republican Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel, who is President Barack Obama's likely pick for defense secretary, an "in-your-face" nomination" and someone who is "out of the mainstream" of thinking on foreign policy issues.

"I'm going to vote for Senator [John] Kerry [for secretary of state]. I don't agree with him a lot, but I very much think he's in the mainstream of thought," Graham said on CNN's "State of the Union."

"Chuck Hagel, if confirmed to be the secretary of defense, would be the most antagonistic secretary of defense toward the state of Israel in our nation's history," Graham said. "Not only has he said you should directly negotiate with Iran, sanctions won't work, that Israel should directly negotiate with the Hamas organization, a terrorist group that lobs thousands of rockets into Israel. He also was one of 12 senators who refused to sign a letter to the European Union that Hezbollah should be designated as a terrorist organization."

"He has long severed his ties with the Republican Party. This is an in-your-face nomination by the president," Graham said. "And it looks like the second term of Barack Obama is going to be an in-your-face term."

CountDeMoney

QuoteSecretary of State Hillary Clinton got a standing ovation at her first day back at work since suffering a concussion and blood clot.

She was presented with a gift from her staff: protective head gear -- a football helmet with the State Department logo on the side as well as a football jersey with the number 112 on it, for the number of countries the secretary visited during her four-year tenure.

Her deputy noted that Washington is a contact sport.

CountDeMoney

No word from the league yet on fining Ed Reed for her concussion.

sbr

derspiess