News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Argentina lowers voting age to 16

Started by jimmy olsen, November 02, 2012, 08:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Zanza on November 05, 2012, 03:23:30 PM

Why not? That's the one institution they know and care about. I would expect that a majority of 16 year old high school students is rational and moderate. Some kind of participation in what school is about seems to be reasonable, after all they are major stakeholders and are directly affected.

You think way more highly of the average teenager than most people do. In general, I agree with you. However, I wouldn't expect many 16 - 17 year olds would bother to vote. If they did, I could see them not bothering to read up on it to do so. Unless it became part of the curriculum and a class field trip, I just don't see it happening.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Phillip V

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2012, 03:30:11 PM
I don't think they would be rational about decisions for their school. Do you remember being 16?
Yes.

We have limited representation of students in the decision bodies in our schools. They can always be outvoted by the teachers and parents, but at least they can participate in the discussions and their opinions are heard. As far as I can tell, only the rational and interested students bothered to get elected for this anyway, so there is a natural selection. If there is one clown elected, that does not matter. However, as far as I am aware, we don't have any policy-setting level for schools between the individual school and the ministry of education on state level, so we don't have something similar to your school boards (as I understand them).

dps

I don't think they would be rational about decisions for their school. Do you remember being 16?

When I was in school, I think most of us would have voted for a candidate who supported burning down the schools and shooting the teachers.

PDH

Quote from: dps on November 05, 2012, 07:02:13 PM

When I was in school, I think most of us would have voted for a candidate who supported burning down the schools and shooting the teachers.

I still am tempted to vote anarchist.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

I briefly took part in a demonstration by the middle class at the Obelisk in downtown Buenos Aires this evening to protest horrible populist policies of the current president.  It felt: good.

8N
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall