Gay Marriage Victory: Voters Legalize Same-Sex Marriage In Maine And Maryland

Started by Martinus, November 07, 2012, 07:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on November 07, 2012, 11:34:59 AM
So never mind this. What about pot? I hear it's legal now in Washington State? Gotta plan my next holiday.

Just to be clear Federal Drug Laws are still in effect so be careful.  The local cops might light your joint for you though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Faeelin

Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2012, 11:31:12 AM
Well the true situation is that it is and still is illegal, but that they didn't want to put in place an amendment that made it much harder to revisit the discussion on whether it should be legal.

This seems like an awfully nuanced view of what Minnesotans were doing.

garbon

Quote from: Faeelin on November 07, 2012, 11:40:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2012, 11:31:12 AM
Well the true situation is that it is and still is illegal, but that they didn't want to put in place an amendment that made it much harder to revisit the discussion on whether it should be legal.

This seems like an awfully nuanced view of what Minnesotans were doing.

In the absence of other evidence, I think it would be a mistake to say Minnesota wants gay marriage.  After all, that's sort of the point of all these anti-gay marriage amendments. They are an attempt to lock in place the prevailing view that gay marriage is awful so that even when a state gets to a point that the populace would support gay marriage - it is now very difficult to reverse position.  Trouble for the bigots in MN was of course that people apparently don't view it as awful.  I'm not sure that means that they want it - though I'd gladly be proven wrong. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

So never mind this. What about pot? I hear it's legal now in Washington State? Gotta plan my next holiday.

CBC did a man on the street type interview with people down in Bellingham.  When asked about the pot initiative one man said "the economy is bad enough and now we are going to have a bunch of high people looking for work."  When asked about the gay marriage initiative he said "now we are going to have a bunch of gay high people."

God Bless America and the 49% that supported Romney.

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 07, 2012, 10:01:26 AM
Quote from: Neil on November 07, 2012, 09:35:57 AM
The people who supported Martinus are being noted.  I'm looking at you, Money.
Gay marriage being legal makes Martinus a lot more likely to lose lots of money.
Maybe, but it won't degrade him, and that's the goal.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2012, 11:42:48 AM
In the absence of other evidence, I think it would be a mistake to say Minnesota wants gay marriage.  After all, that's sort of the point of all these anti-gay marriage amendments. They are an attempt to lock in place the prevailing view that gay marriage is awful so that even when a state gets to a point that the populace would support gay marriage - it is now very difficult to reverse position.  Trouble for the bigots in MN was of course that people apparently don't view it as awful.  I'm not sure that means that they want it - though I'd gladly be proven wrong. :)

Agreed on all counts.  The farthest I'd go in speculation is that if a bill to legalize it outright were introduced today, it would fail, while a bill to recognize marriages performed in other states would go through by a narrow to moderate margin.
Experience bij!

Martinus

Gay marriage being legal makes Martinus a lot more likely to lose lots of money.

This.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on November 07, 2012, 02:09:08 PM
This.
Yeah, but you would lose even more money if the state seized all your assets, revoked your law license and citizenship and cast you out into the street to starve.  Surely that would be worse, right?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 07, 2012, 11:45:37 AM

CBC did a man on the street type interview with people down in Bellingham.  When asked about the pot initiative one man said "the economy is bad enough and now we are going to have a bunch of high people looking for work."  When asked about the gay marriage initiative he said "now we are going to have a bunch of gay high people."

God Bless America and the 49% that supported Romney.

:lol:
Wonderful ignorance.
"I wasn't sure about being gay before but now they can get married I'm in!"
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

On similar news, Spain's Constitutional court upheld our gay marriage law two days ago, despite the challenge of our incumbent conservative party.