The Atlantic: Conservative Media have failed Republicans, lost to MSM

Started by Syt, November 07, 2012, 09:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Maximus on November 07, 2012, 05:32:10 PM
I think it's possible that a basic grasp of statistics will be as crucial to being an informed person in the information age as being able to read was in the age of print.

I'm certain that something will fill that role, reading just isn't enough anymore, there's too much to sift through. Among the contenders I can see, statistics is among the best.

:mad:

You're really not making any friends today. :glare:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Speaking of not getting laid...  :hmm:  I have a prediction to make.

garbon

I think it's possible that a basic grasp of statistics will be as crucial to being an informed person in the information age as being able to read was in the age of print.

I'm certain that something will fill that role, reading just isn't enough anymore, there's too much to sift through. Among the contenders I can see, statistics is among the best.

Don't see how that's true insofar as most things one reads don't actually mention the stats behind the pronouncements.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on November 07, 2012, 03:38:14 PM
I wonder - have such groups always existed

Yes, John Birchers and the like.  See for example Hofstader's thesis on the "Paranoid Style" or the General Ripper character in Dr. Stangelove.
Or for a European version, Eco's prague Cemetary.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2012, 05:39:04 PM

Don't see how that's true insofar as most things one reads don't actually mention the stats behind the pronouncements.
Again, numbers are often beyond the point, stats at their basic are often about pure logic.  If you read an article that claims that people undergoing chemotherapy have a higher risk of getting cancer, you don't need to analyze the t-score and the confidence intervals of the study to see a potential problem.

Maximus

Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2012, 05:39:04 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of how one chooses what to read.

merithyn

Pfft. That's just logic. You don't need stats for that, and there are plenty of logical people who don't do stats stuff.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on November 07, 2012, 05:45:44 PM
Pfft. That's just logic. You don't need stats for that, and there are plenty of logical people who don't do stats stuff.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on November 07, 2012, 04:46:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 07, 2012, 04:41:57 PM
His book looks to be a pretty good one too.  The world would be a much better place if general public understand at least the basics of probability and statistics.

:mellow:

Seriously? You honestly think anyone besides semi-autistic accountant/actuaries would give two shits about that stuff? Or at least care enough to have it generally affect their lives? Put down the book, DG, and go get laid. Please. For your own good.
People will.  It'll probably be the next 'trend' book.  Like the Black Swans, or the Nudges, or whatever Malcolm Gladwell's last book was about.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

Quote from: derspiess on November 07, 2012, 12:28:12 PM

Anyway, I'm genuinely surprised that Obama was able to generally match his voter enthusiasm from '08.  I couldn't even find people here who were certain it would be so.

Huh?  He didn't match his numbers from 4 years ago, either in the electoral college or the popular vote, granting that the popular vote numbers still aren't complete.

frunk

Stats are based in logic, so saying "it's just logic" doesn't mean it isn't stats.  Simple stats aren't complicated, but are easy to get wrong.

DGuller

Quote from: frunk on November 07, 2012, 09:28:18 PM

Stats are based in logic, so saying "it's just logic" doesn't mean it isn't stats.  Simple stats aren't complicated, but are easy to get wrong.
Hey, for a while I appreciated you saying exactly what I thought, but now you're just stealing my thunder.  :mad:

dps

OK, this give me a chance to quote on of my favorite authors again:

QuoteWhen a statistic is given... ...you need to submit it to a few little tests

Is that true?
What does it mean?
Is it relevant to the discussion?
Is it biased for any reason?
What does it indicate?
What does it prove?

These tests are exactly the same for a statistical statement as they are for any other type of statement.

You can't submit stats to those tests if you don't have a basic grasp of them.  And you certainly can't count on the media, mainstream or otherwise, to do it for you.   

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on November 07, 2012, 10:20:26 PMAnd you certainly can't count on the media, mainstream or otherwise, to do it for you.

Should've told that to Mittens' campaign people about FOX.