The Atlantic: Conservative Media have failed Republicans, lost to MSM

Started by Syt, November 07, 2012, 09:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

There has been a lot of talk that the extremism that's happening in American politics is very similar to what happened just after the printing press became ubiquitous in the 16th century. Basically, during an information boom, people are more able to glom onto those with similar idealogies, completely ignoring the nay-sayers.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on November 07, 2012, 04:11:46 PM
There has been a lot of talk that the extremism that's happening in American politics is very similar to what happened just after the printing press became ubiquitous in the 16th century. Basically, during an information boom, people are more able to glom onto those with similar idealogies, completely ignoring the nay-sayers.
:yes: That's about the part of Nate Silver's book I'm up to.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on November 07, 2012, 04:15:40 PM

Didn't know Nate Silver had a book. I've heard this bandied around on NPR and CNN.

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on November 07, 2012, 04:24:33 PM
Didn't know Nate Silver had a book. I've heard this bandied around on NPR and CNN.
He just published it about a month ago.  For some strange reason it's quite hot today on Amazon.

garbon

Of course he has a book. Poor is the minor celebrity without one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2012, 04:28:15 PM

Of course he has a book. Poor is the minor celebrity without one.

Dont shoot the messenger

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

DGuller

His book looks to be a pretty good one too.  The world would be a much better place if general public understand at least the basics of probability and statistics.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on November 07, 2012, 04:41:57 PM
His book looks to be a pretty good one too.  The world would be a much better place if general public understand at least the basics of probability and statistics.

:mellow:

Seriously? You honestly think anyone besides semi-autistic accountant/actuaries would give two shits about that stuff? Or at least care enough to have it generally affect their lives? Put down the book, DG, and go get laid. Please. For your own good.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on November 07, 2012, 04:27:55 PM
He just published it about a month ago.  For some strange reason it's quite hot today on Amazon.

Also: Colbert Bump.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on November 07, 2012, 04:46:21 PM

Seriously? You honestly think anyone besides semi-autistic accountant/actuaries would give two shits about that stuff? Or at least care enough to have it generally affect their lives? Put down the book, DG, and go get laid. Please. For your own good.
No, I don't think that, but I would be happy to be proven wrong, and the sudden spike in interest in his book could be the thing that would prove me wrong.  If people interested in 538 for partisan reasons would read his book in euphoria, they may learn a thing or two that would be highly useful knowledge in order to be a critical thinker.  As for the other stuff, frankly that kind of garbage is beneath you.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on November 07, 2012, 04:46:21 PM

:lmfao: