And we're back!

Main Menu

The Grand Election Thread

Started by Tamas, November 06, 2012, 08:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2012, 10:56:16 AM
Also WTF is he talking about?
What exactly did Obama "give" to African-Americans specifically?  Hispanics? 

Maybe you should see BB's post. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2012, 11:55:05 AM
Maybe you should see BB's post. :hug:

That's not an excuse for making comments like that.  Pandering to closeted (and not-so-closeted) racists for dollars is unedifying.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

I don't see why a has-been politician would care about that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2012, 12:59:40 PM

Then why did you direct us to BB post?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2012, 01:10:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2012, 12:59:40 PM

Then why did you direct us to BB post?

I'm not sure what you mean.

CountDeMoney

Healthcare. BUT WE ALREADY HAVE EMERGENCY ROOMS AND AMBULANCES AND EVERYTHING

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 15, 2012, 01:23:55 PM

White guys don't get sick?
Please.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 15, 2012, 10:35:41 AM
50-48 is relatively close. The electoral college makes it look worse than it was.

Since the electoral college is the only thing that matters at all you have this completely backwards.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2012, 10:24:57 AM
Guys, it's during a telephone call to donors.  The sole point of which is to try and make sure they give even more money in the next election.

Ah ok.  Still that was pretty creepy stuff.  His Donors must be morons.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 15, 2012, 02:26:15 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 15, 2012, 01:23:55 PM

White guys don't get sick?
Please.

Yeah, but when they get sick and are poor and have government insurance, that's not the same thing as "entitlements". That's just until they get back on their feet, donchaknow. Those brown pipples, though, that's a permanent problem with them. :yes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on November 15, 2012, 02:33:10 PM
Guys, it's during a telephone call to donors.  The sole point of which is to try and make sure they give even more money in the next election.

Romney's been straight out of Rich Guy Central Casting all this time, why step out of character now?

merithyn

I'm well-aware of where he was. Doesn't change the content of the words, nor does it show him to be anything less than a sore loser. I doubt he'd be calling himself a loser, but really? Buying brown pipple? Surely he could have come up with something better than that.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 15, 2012, 02:33:10 PM

Not really that creepy. Not surprising that there are idiots out there that will donate money if given speeches like that.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on November 15, 2012, 02:41:50 PM

I'm well-aware of where he was. Doesn't change the content of the words, nor does it show him to be anything less than a sore loser. I doubt he'd be calling himself a loser, but really? Buying brown pipple? Surely he could have come up with something better than that.

If it is what your audience wants to hear, seems like you'd be remiss in telling them something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 15, 2012, 02:31:48 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 15, 2012, 10:35:41 AM
50-48 is relatively close. The electoral college makes it look worse than it was.

Since the electoral college is the only thing that matters at all you have this completely backwards.

The electoral college follows the popular vote. Though I also disagree with Tim,  both results are pretty close. Bush's wins were essentially ties in both popular and electoral vote, 330 EVs is not a commanding victory or even an overly comfortable one. EV margins are greater by design, remember that Reagan won less than 60% of the vote in 1984.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?