And we're back!

Main Menu

The Grand Election Thread

Started by Tamas, November 06, 2012, 08:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 09, 2012, 12:12:29 PM
Mitch McConnell, Tennessee?  :D

Yeah I was puzzled.  Isn't he the big Louisville Grad?  Surely he is a Kentucky Senator.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2012, 12:38:49 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 09, 2012, 12:12:29 PM
Mitch McConnell, Tennessee?  :D

Yeah I was puzzled.  Isn't he the big Louisville Grad?  Surely he is a Kentucky Senator.

The senior senator.

Ashley went to UK.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

:blush:

Tennessee, Kentucky, whatever.

Fuck you, derspiess and Lettow.  All rebels look the same.   :yuk:

celedhring

It would be sort of cool to be able to google lingerie photos of your senator.

Isn't she a bit too lefty for that place anyway? Recall her getting in trouble with coal miners down there.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on November 09, 2012, 11:31:06 AM
Quote from: merithyn on November 09, 2012, 11:21:20 AM
That's going to be interesting. I wonder what his stance on immigration will be. :hmm:

If he is a Texas Poltician he will be both for and against.  Perry, for example, got in trouble in the Primary for all his programs helping Illegal Immigrants.  But he also has a freaking state navy patrolling the Rio Grande.  So they want to stop them at the border but once they get here they pander to them.  That way everybody gets warm fuzzies.
If he commissions USS Texas, no wetback trash could possibly survive.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2012, 09:11:25 AM
Quote from: DGuller on November 09, 2012, 09:00:18 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 09, 2012, 08:49:57 AM
This map is pretty eerie when you talk about political division. 2012 election results by county.
Why is this particular map eerie?

I don't know, even the Bible belt has a lot of mixed blue and red in there. If it's all because of the deep red in the middle of the country, that's a very lowly populated area.

The reason there is a lot of mixed blue and red in the bible belt is because you have large concentrations of minorities in the deep south. It probably isn't a sign of health for the south when 95% or so of african americans vote for one candidate, and 75%+ of white voters vote for the other.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DontSayBanana

Quote from: alfred russel on November 09, 2012, 11:27:15 PM
The reason there is a lot of mixed blue and red in the bible belt is because you have large concentrations of minorities in the deep south. It probably isn't a sign of health for the south when 95% or so of african americans vote for one candidate, and 75%+ of white voters vote for the other.

Yeah, I'm getting a definite "us and them" vibe from this whole thing.
Experience bij!

merithyn

:lol:

Suddenly, the Republicans are for immigration reform, opening the door for citizenship for all of those illegals they've been bashing for the past decade or so. Amazing how, when the numbers come out, the Republicans can be reasonable. Even Hannity is now saying that he's "evolved" on the subject.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

It's going to take more than Mr. Rubio reading from a prepared statement to sucker the brown pipples.

Phillip V

I am cautiously optimistic that we will finally get immigration reform during Obama's second term, and if there is still nothing by Fall 2014, Republicans may lose the mid-term elections.

CountDeMoney

You guys'll love this.

QuoteCharles Darwin earns 4,000 write-in votes against creationist Ga. congressman

ATHENS, Ga. — Charles Darwin earned almost 4,000 write-in votes against a Georgia congressman who denounced evolution and other scientific theories as "lies straight from the pit of hell."

The symbolic votes in Athens-Clarke County were a small percentage of more than 209,000 votes won by Republican Rep. Paul Broun in his unopposed re-election Tuesday.

The Athens Banner-Herald reports that write-in totals weren't immediately available for the other 24 counties in his district.

Broun gave a speech to a church group on Sept. 27 lambasting evolution, embryology and the Big Bang theory. Critics urged voters to write in the 19th-century British naturalist who is considered the father of evolution.

CountDeMoney

QuoteAfter Obama reelection, Murray Energy CEO reads prayer, announces layoffs
By Steven Mufson, Published: November 9

For the chairman and chief executive of Murray Energy, an Ohio-based coal company, the reelection of President Obama was no cause for celebration. It was a time for prayer — and layoffs.

Robert E. Murray read a prayer to a group of company staff members on the day after the election, lamenting the direction of the country and asking: "Lord, please forgive me and anyone with me in Murray Energy Corp. for the decisions that we are now forced to make to preserve the very existence of any of the enterprises that you have helped us build."

On Wednesday, Murray also laid off 54 people at American Coal, one of his subsidiary companies, and 102 at Utah American Energy, blaming a "war on coal" by the Obama administration. Although that charge was repeatedly leveled during the election, energy analysts say that the coal-mining business is suffering because of competition from low-cost natural gas and rising production costs of coal, especially in the Appalachian region.

Murray Energy is the country's largest privately owned coal mining company, with about 3,000 employees producing about 30 million tons of bituminous coal a year, according to its Web site.

The company was the subject of an article in the New Republic that said the firm forced miners to attend a Romney campaign speech in southeastern Ohio in August. Murray denied the account. The New Republic also reported that Murray Energy employees have given more than $1.4 million to Republican candidates for federal office since 2007.

Murray has been a target of environmentalists. Notably, the company has spilled coal slurry into a creek on seven occasions.

Murray's prayer from Wednesday first appeared on the Web site of the Intelligencer/Wheeling News-Register. The newspaper said Murray supplied his text. The Washington Post confirmed its legitimacy with a company spokesman, Gary M. Broadbent.

Here is the full text of the prayer:

"Dear Lord:

The American people have made their choice. They have decided that America must change its course, away from the principals of our Founders. And, away from the idea of individual freedom and individual responsibility. Away from capitalism, economic responsibility, and personal acceptance.

We are a Country in favor of redistribution, national weakness and reduced standard of living and lower and lower levels of personal freedom.

My regret, Lord, is that our young people, including those in my own family, never will know what America was like or might have been. They will pay the price in their reduced standard of living and, most especially, reduced freedom.

The takers outvoted the producers. In response to this, I have turned to my Bible and in II Peter, Chapter 1, verses 4-9 it says, 'To faith we are to add goodness; to goodness, knowledge; to knowledge, self control; to self control, perseverance; to perseverance, godliness; to godliness, kindness; to brotherly kindness, love.'

Lord, please forgive me and anyone with me in Murray Energy Corp. for the decisions that we are now forced to make to preserve the very existence of any of the enterprises that you have helped us build. We ask for your guidance in this drastic time with the drastic decisions that will be made to have any hope of our survival as an American business enterprise.

Amen."

Syt

QuoteLord, please forgive me and anyone with me in Murray Energy Corp. for the decisions that we are now forced to make to preserve the very existence of any of the enterprises that you have helped us build.

Didn't know GOD was a shareholder in Murray Energy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.