News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Call the Electoral Vote

Started by jimmy olsen, November 05, 2012, 11:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 07, 2012, 08:22:44 AM
I'm basking in the sunshine of my state's enlightened, progressive dawn.

Well I'm not interested and you aren't thin. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Josephus on November 07, 2012, 08:26:38 AM
One thing about your elections I find odd is the winner take all thing. For instance in a state with say 20 electoral votes, if I win by one single vote, I get all 20 electoral votes. Not exactly representative of the state is it?

Gee, I'm glad you pointed it out.  Somehow, no one else had managed to notice it in the last 200 years or so.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 07, 2012, 08:31:25 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 07, 2012, 08:22:44 AM
I'm basking in the sunshine of my state's enlightened, progressive dawn.

Well I'm not interested and you aren't thin. :P

I know.  :(

Drakken

One thing about your elections I find odd is the winner take all thing. For instance in a state with say 20 electoral votes, if I win by one single vote, I get all 20 electoral votes. Not exactly representative of the state is it?

The Electoral College ceased largely to matter when it became illegal to vote out of their designated mandates for most Electors.

DGuller

Bah.  I made my prediction before Nate Silver updated Florida to lean ever-so-slightly Obama.

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on November 07, 2012, 08:50:06 AM

The Electoral College ceased largely to matter when it became illegal to vote out of their designated mandates for most Electors.

Slightly less than half the states have laws making it a illegal to be a faithless elector and for most of our history, faithless electors haven't changed much.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Phillip V on November 07, 2012, 01:52:25 AM
Along with the rise of women, this election may also symbolize the last hurrah of white voters.

What are you talking about?  My candidate won. :yeah:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 07, 2012, 08:56:10 AM
Along with the rise of women, this election may also symbolize the last hurrah of white voters.

What are you talking about?  My candidate won. :yeah:

Which has little to do with his statement. :P

Josephus

Quote from: dps on November 07, 2012, 08:31:34 AM

Gee, I'm glad you pointed it out.  Somehow, no one else had managed to notice it in the last 200 years or so.

I didn't say it was an original thought. I just said it was stupid.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Major non-President winners from tonight? Paul Ryan and Nate Silver.

No so. 
The most significant non-Presidential winner is Ben Bernanke, assuming he wants to accept his reappointment.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

I guess the optimal strategy was to just follow 538 (which I tried to do, but then he switched around FL on me at the last minute).

Martim Silva

I would like to deeply thank all Americans for having reelected Obama, thus showing their commitment to a mutilateral, cooperative US.

That said, Portugal and Greece will need new bailouts and Spain also requires one. The EU alone can't afford it all, so the IMF will have to chip in. The US under Obama will be more willing to hand over the billions needed, so this is very good for us.

So, thank you very much to all and start forking over your tax dollars *stretches palm*

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martim Silva on November 07, 2012, 10:33:42 AM
I would like to deeply thank all Americans for having reelected Obama, thus showing their commitment to a mutilateral, cooperative US.

That said, Portugal and Greece will need new bailouts and Spain also requires one. The EU alone can't afford it all, so the IMF will have to chip in. The US under Obama will be more willing to hand over the billions needed, so this is very good for us.

So, thank you very much to all and start forking over your tax dollars *stretches palm*

I suggest you rethink this plan, and start taking crash courses in Mandarin ASAP.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maximus

Quote from: DGuller on November 07, 2012, 08:51:10 AM
Bah.  I made my prediction before Nate Silver updated Florida to lean ever-so-slightly Obama.
Florida didn't matter. The race was called before Florida was.