Pelosi, CIA...briefings on interrogations

Started by KRonn, May 15, 2009, 11:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Well, I'm waiting to see how this all goes down, who's at fault, where the truth is. Very messy so far.

(I just posted the first few paragraphs)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30760398/

Pelosi raises detainee debate to a new level
Accusation that Bush team lied is either calculated, reckless — or both

WASHINGTON - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's extraordinary accusation that the Bush administration lied to Congress about the use of harsh interrogation techniques dramatically raised the stakes in the growing debate over the Bush administration's anti-terrorism policies even as it raised some questions about the speaker's credibility.

Pelosi's performance in the Capitol was either a calculated escalation of a long-running feud with the Bush administration or a reckless act by a politician whose word had been called into question. Perhaps it was both.

For the first time, Pelosi (D-Calif.) acknowledged that in 2003 she was informed by an aide that the CIA had told others in Congress that officials had used waterboarding during interrogations. But she insisted, contrary to CIA accounts, that she was not told about waterboarding during a September 2002 briefing by agency officials. Asked whether she was accusing the CIA of lying, she replied, "Yes, misleading the Congress of the United States." 

jimmy olsen

Yeah, there's no way she didn't know about this. Even if it wasn't said to her in black in white surely it was so heavily implied that she must have known.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

This is why I think be an investigation of some sort would be a good idea.  And I think there should be one here to see how much the UK knowingly cooperated.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 15, 2009, 11:20:39 AM
Yeah, there's no way she didn't know about this. Even if it wasn't said to her in black in white surely it was so heavily implied that she must have known.

I watched on The Daily Show that she backslid and started saying that she was briefed that they could do it, but not that they would. Of course, that's from news clips shown on the Daily Show, so who knows.

*And no, I don't not frequently watch the daily show, maybe like once a year.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on May 15, 2009, 11:48:21 AM

*And no, I don't not frequently watch the daily show, maybe like once a year.

You should, it is excellent.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Oh Hod please let this force the Democrats to remove her as Speaker.

Actually, please let something, anything, lead the Democrats to remove her as Speaker.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Hansmeister

Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2009, 12:49:48 PM

Actually, please let something, anything, lead the Democrats to remove her as Speaker.

No, no, she needs to stay right where she is.  Too bad she didn't succeed in making Murtha Majority Leader.   :(

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 15, 2009, 11:27:09 AM
This is why I think be an investigation of some sort would be a good idea.  And I think there should be one here to see how much the UK knowingly cooperated.
Why bother investigating?  It's not like waterboarding and whatnot is a big deal.  All that fake outrage has served its purpose:  A Democrat is in the White House.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Amen, Brother Valmy!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

I just can't believe ANYONE would believe a word this lying sack of facelifts says.  :rolleyes:

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on May 15, 2009, 02:18:19 PM
I just can't believe ANYONE would believe a word this lying sack of facelifts says.  :rolleyes:

On the other hand, if I were the CIA, I would probably lie to her.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 15, 2009, 02:14:16 PM

Amen, Brother Valmy!

Agreed! Really, I'd love it if they could find some way to remove her as my rep.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on May 15, 2009, 02:33:12 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 15, 2009, 02:18:19 PM

On the other hand, if I were the CIA, I would probably lie to her.
I like your sig.  :D In fact I just wrote a similar line of code:
select * from dba_jobs where (job >= 205 and job <= 210) or (job >= 311 and job <= 312);
select * from dba_jobs where failures > 0