Pelosi, CIA...briefings on interrogations

Started by KRonn, May 15, 2009, 11:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Scipio on May 16, 2009, 08:41:07 AM
The Demoncrats in the House, unfortunately, are neither.

Let me cling to my desperate hope that Pelosi would get the boot, k? :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on May 17, 2009, 04:47:18 PM
Quote from: Scipio on May 16, 2009, 08:41:07 AM
The Demoncrats in the House, unfortunately, are neither.

Let me cling to my desperate hope that Pelosi would get the boot, k? :(
This is huge what she's doing, making the claims she is. This is not going to go away quietly at all. It should lead to larger investigations given that the House Speaker is making these claims. I just hope we don't get the Kangaroo courts ala AIG or the Auto company execs type thing. If she is proven wrong in this, and is seen as being untruthful in her statements, or trying to cover up for her actions, errors and misstatements, I would think her being removed as Speaker would be necessary by the Dems. After all, she'll lose huge credibility after something like this, and would get politically hammered over and over, as is already happening, by Dems and Repubs.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 16, 2009, 08:44:51 AM
Honestly though, not just on this topic but others, Obama needs to drop the hammer on the Dems in Congress and remind them who is the party boss, and who should be pushing who's agenda.

He's had enough practice doing that to Republicans, so yeah :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on May 18, 2009, 08:35:07 AM
This is huge what she's doing, making the claims she is. This is not going to go away quietly at all. It should lead to larger investigations given that the House Speaker is making these claims. I just hope we don't get the Kangaroo courts ala AIG or the Auto company execs type thing. If she is proven wrong in this, and is seen as being untruthful in her statements, or trying to cover up for her actions, errors and misstatements, I would think her being removed as Speaker would be necessary by the Dems. After all, she'll lose huge credibility after something like this, and would get politically hammered over and over, as is already happening, by Dems and Repubs.

:hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Panetta says nobody lied to Pelosi. Obama Administration to Nancy: Shut the fuck up.

Quote from: The Hill
CIA director says Pelosi received the truth
By Sam Youngman
Posted: 05/15/09 02:19 PM [ET]

CIA Director Leon Panetta challenged House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's accusations that the agency lied to her, writing a memo to his agents saying she received nothing but the truth.

Panetta said that "ultimately, it is up to Congress to evaluate all the evidence and reach its own conclusions about what happened."

Pelosi (D-Calif.) infuriated Republicans this week when she said in a news conference that she was "misled" by CIA officials during a briefing in 2002 about whether the U.S. was waterboarding alleged terrorist detainees.

Panetta, President Obama's pick to run the clandestine agency and President Clinton's former chief of staff, wrote in a memo to CIA employees Friday that "CIA officers briefed truthfully on the interrogation of Abu Zubaydah, describing 'the enhanced techniques that had been employed,'" according to CIA records.

"We are an agency of high integrity, professionalism and dedication," Panetta said in the memo. "Our task is to tell it like it is — even if that's not what people always want to hear. Keep it up. Our national security depends on it."

In the pep talk-style memo titled "Turning Down the Volume," Panetta encourages CIA employees to return to their normal business and not to be distracted by the shout-fest Pelosi's remarks created.

"My advice — indeed, my direction — to you is straightforward: Ignore the noise and stay focused on your mission," Panetta wrote. "We have too much work to do to be distracted from our job of protecting this country."

In what may be the most critical moment of her speakership, Pelosi is under fire about what she knew of  the enhanced interrogation techniques used by the Bush administration and when she knew it.

At the same news conference where she accused the CIA of misleading her on the topic, Pelosi acknowledged for the first time that she knew in 2003 that terrorism suspects were waterboarded. She said she learned that from an aide who sat in on a briefing in February 2003.

For weeks, Pelosi had dodged questions about what she knew about waterboarding and when she knew it. Republicans have called her a hypocrite for criticizing techniques as "torture" when she tacitly agreed to the practices after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. At least one lawmaker — Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) — called on Pelosi  Friday to step down as Speaker.

At the same time, liberal groups could question why she didn't push back harder against the Bush administration. Pelosi defended herself for not speaking out at the time about information disclosed in a classified briefing. Asked why she didn't co-sign a formal objection by Rep. Jane Harman (D-Calif.), who attended the briefing with Pelosi aide Mike Sheehy, Pelosi said any objection would have done little good.

"No letter could change the policy," she said on May 14 at a news conference. "It was clear we had to change the leadership in Congress and in the White House. That was my job, the Congress part."
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Pelosi should stay right where she is.  If she's controversial enough to get my mom to start talking about politics, she's just what the GOP needs :D

Sorry grabon :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 18, 2009, 12:16:18 PM
Pelosi should stay right where she is.  If she's controversial enough to get my mom to start talking about politics, she's just what the GOP needs :D

Sorry grabon :(

:angry:

KRonn

Leon Panetta, CIA Director appointed by Pres Obama, and long time Democrat was also Pres Clinton's Chief of Staff, spoke about the controversy. I have to give the guy credit for coming out regardless of politics as he's a long time Democrat, in support of his agency.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/cia-director-fires-back-at-pelosi-2009-05-15.html

CIA director says Pelosi received the truth
By Sam Youngman
Posted: 05/15/09 02:19 PM [ET]

CIA Director Leon Panetta challenged House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's accusations that the agency lied to her, writing a memo to his agents saying she received nothing but the truth.

Panetta said that "ultimately, it is up to Congress to evaluate all the evidence and reach its own conclusions about what happened."

Pelosi (D-Calif.) infuriated Republicans this week when she said in a news conference that she was "misled" by CIA officials during a briefing in 2002 about whether the U.S. was waterboarding alleged terrorist detainees.

Panetta, President Obama's pick to run the clandestine agency and President Clinton's former chief of staff, wrote in a memo to CIA employees Friday that "CIA officers briefed truthfully on the interrogation of Abu Zubaydah, describing 'the enhanced techniques that had been employed,'" according to CIA records.

"We are an agency of high integrity, professionalism and dedication," Panetta said in the memo. "Our task is to tell it like it is — even if that's not what people always want to hear. Keep it up. Our national security depends on it."

In the pep talk-style memo titled "Turning Down the Volume," Panetta encourages CIA employees to return to their normal business and not to be distracted by the shout-fest Pelosi's remarks created.

"My advice — indeed, my direction — to you is straightforward: Ignore the noise and stay focused on your mission," Panetta wrote. "We have too much work to do to be distracted from our job of protecting this country."

In what may be the most critical moment of her speakership, Pelosi is under fire about what she knew of  the enhanced interrogation techniques used by the Bush administration and when she knew it.

At the same news conference where she accused the CIA of misleading her on the topic, Pelosi acknowledged for the first time that she knew in 2003 that terrorism suspects were waterboarded. She said she learned that from an aide who sat in on a briefing in February 2003.

For weeks, Pelosi had dodged questions about what she knew about waterboarding and when she knew it. Republicans have called her a hypocrite for criticizing techniques as "torture" when she tacitly agreed to the practices after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. At least one lawmaker — Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) — called on Pelosi  Friday to step down as Speaker.

At the same time, liberal groups could question why she didn't push back harder against the Bush administration. Pelosi defended herself for not speaking out at the time about information disclosed in a classified briefing. Asked why she didn't co-sign a formal objection by Rep. Jane Harman (D-Calif.), who attended the briefing with Pelosi aide Mike Sheehy, Pelosi said any objection would have done little good.

"No letter could change the policy," she said on May 14 at a news conference. "It was clear we had to change the leadership in Congress and in the White House. That was my job, the Congress part." 

Sheilbh

This should be investigated and if she lied to Congress she has to stand down.

Is lying to Congress a big thing in the US?  In the UK 'misleading the House' is theoretically the worst thing a Minister can do and is, theoretically, a resigning offence.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I expect congress members to lie with impunity. -_-

The Brain

Lying to Clowngress is just horrible. Horrible.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 20, 2009, 04:50:01 PM

Is lying to Congress a big thing in the US?  In the UK 'misleading the House' is theoretically the worst thing a Minister can do and is, theoretically, a resigning offence.
It is a big  problem for her, probably mainly political. Not sure about if charges would be brought against her or anything, but Congress would at least take measures to punish her politically, censure or what ever, aside from whether she loses her Speakership. And if the charges she's leveled aren't sunstantiated in investigation, she'd really have to lose her Speakership, at the least. I don't see how she could reamin so very politically damaged. Her party won't be able to stand behind her.

She's third in line to the Presidency, and has made significant charges that CIA lied to her, misled her, and that they do it routinely to Congres. That's big, and can not stand without investigation. So, this is just getting going, and could get messy. If her allegations stand then she could be exonerated, but that looks like a tough road for her right now. I'm willing to hear her out, have to, as is fair and she is Speaker of the House.

Neil

Perjury isn't a big deal for American politicians.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

What do you mean by lying to Congress?  She has never testified under oath as far as I know.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2009, 11:37:52 PM
What do you mean by lying to Congress?  She has never testified under oath as far as I know.
I don't think parliament has the power to make people swear an oath.  But if a minister stands at the dispatch box and 'misleads the house' and it's discovered then they will probably be asked to resign.
Let's bomb Russia!