News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How would you amend the U.S. constitution?

Started by jimmy olsen, November 05, 2012, 01:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 05, 2012, 02:46:40 AM
I am not a fan of giant robots.

What exactly do you have against giant robots?
Larger robots can be the more efficient option for robotic tasks that call for greater size and bulk.
I'm very disappointed to find that you of all people harbor such prejudices against robots based soley on their heftiness.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2012, 04:33:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2012, 04:14:50 PM
What did Jimmy do again?  I don't really recall...I know he says mean things about Israel.

Lots and lots of mean things about Israel.  "Apartheid" is one of them.

Well, we certainly can't have all that. 

Much easier just to say that Palestinians have no interest in peace, and how Palestinian culture is the reason for "such a dramatically stark difference in economic vitality" next to Israel.  :P

QuoteOn the contrary he says nice things about Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez.  And despite the usual custom of former Presidents not criticizing their successors, Carter went out of his way to criticize Bush 43.

Castro and Chavez are wildly popular elected leaders of their respective countries.  Why can't nice things be said about them?  :huh:

The Minsky Moment

And despite the usual custom of former Presidents not criticizing their successors, Carter went out of his way to criticize Bush 43.

I doubt he had to go that far out of his way.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

What did Jimmy do again?  I don't really recall...I know he says mean things about Israel.

On the contrary he says nice things about Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez.  And despite the usual custom of former Presidents not criticizing their successors, Carter went out of his way to criticize Bush 43.

I have no problem with former Presidents ripping their successors...but the Chavez and Castro thing is pretty nutty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

This isn't a constitutional thing, since I don't want to gift them with a permanent seat or anything.

But I wish that Presidents who remained healthy after their term would follow that example of John Q. Adams and entered the House or the Senate.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 05, 2012, 05:23:06 PM
This isn't a constitutional thing, since I don't want to gift them with a permanent seat or anything.

But I wish that Presidents who remained healthy after their term would follow that example of John Q. Adams and entered the House or the Senate.
Why would they want to do that?  By the time they're done, they're completely spent.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on November 05, 2012, 04:35:41 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2012, 04:15:50 PM

He still breathes.  Conservatives seem to have a real problem with that.
Man, Seedy the bailbondsman would not have been impressed by your love for Israel-bashing and Castropologism.  You've changed, man.
Indeed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 05, 2012, 06:27:07 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 05, 2012, 06:23:48 AM
Amendment 4 - House districts must equal the population of the smallest state.

So (Wyoming) 568,158/311,591,917 = 548 seats

You realize that still leaves the other states with under a million either over or underrepresented, quite possibly even moreso than now.

We should go back to the Constitutional minimum, and have 10,000+ Representatives.

Zanza

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 05, 2012, 04:29:59 PM
What if I want to protect Medicare from that theoretical Tea Party Congress?
Apart from some basic concepts like rule of law, democracy or republicanism, a constitution should not limit policy making. It should just make sure you need a wide consensus to change it. But something as specific as a health insurance program should not be protected.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2012, 05:29:26 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 05, 2012, 04:35:41 PM
Man, Seedy the bailbondsman would not have been impressed by your love for Israel-bashing and Castropologism.  You've changed, man.
Indeed.

Meh, fuck you guys.  Like I still need to be yelled at by old Jews for not bailing out enough black people.

garbon

Seeds, don't take it personally. I'm just being me. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2012, 05:50:26 PM

Yes, and you're being particularly cuntacular today, I might add.

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 05, 2012, 05:40:05 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 05, 2012, 06:27:07 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 05, 2012, 06:23:48 AM
Amendment 4 - House districts must equal the population of the smallest state.

So (Wyoming) 568,158/311,591,917 = 548 seats

You realize that still leaves the other states with under a million either over or underrepresented, quite possibly even moreso than now.

We should go back to the Constitutional minimum, and have 10,000+ Representatives.

so every time you go to war there you have available to you 10,000 irregular untrained light infantry who just voted for the war?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2012, 05:51:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2012, 05:50:26 PM

Yes, and you're being particularly cuntacular today, I might add.

Whereas I'd say you've been rather sensitive but I'll call it a draw. I'm off to do other things.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2012, 05:12:41 PM

On the contrary he says nice things about Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez.  And despite the usual custom of former Presidents not criticizing their successors, Carter went out of his way to criticize Bush 43.

I have no problem with former Presidents ripping their successors...but the Chavez and Castro thing is pretty nutty.

Like what? I know he's a favourite lynchpin for the American right, but I'm not really aware of what he's done or said to merit that scorn.