News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Bet is a Tax on Bullshit

Started by jimmy olsen, November 05, 2012, 09:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I agree, what say you?

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2012/11/a-bet-is-a-tax-on-bullshit.html
QuoteA Bet is a Tax on Bullshit

by Alex Tabarrok on November 2, 2012 at 7:35 am in Current Affairs, Data Source, Economics, Political Science | Permalink

Nate Silver, whose models give Obama a high probability of winning reelection, has offered one of his critics a bet. "Putting your money where your mouth is," is a time-honored principle of integrity in my view but the NYTimes Public Editor is very upset. Margaret Sullivan, however, never offers an argument against betting instead treating it as unseemly.

[Betting is] inappropriate for a Times journalist, which is how Mr. Silver is seen by the public even though he's not a regular staff member.

"I wouldn't want to see it become newsroom practice," said the associate managing editor for standards, Philip B. Corbett. He described Mr. Silver's status as a blogger — something like a columnist — as a mitigating factor...

...When he came to work at The Times, Mr. Silver gained a lot more visibility and the credibility associated with a prominent institution. But he lost something, too: the right to act like a free agent with responsibilities to nobody's standards but his own.

The closest to an argument against betting is this:

...whatever the motivation behind it, the wager offer is a bad idea – giving ammunition to the critics who want to paint Mr. Silver as a partisan who is trying to sway the outcome.

My best parse of the argument is that by betting Silver has given himself an interest in the election and this hurts his credibility. Nothing, however, could be further from the truth.

A properly structured bet is the most credible guarantor of rigorous disinterest. In order to prove his point, Silver is not required to take the Obama side of the bet! At the odds implied by his model (currently between 3 and 4 to 1) Silver should be willing to take either side of a modest bet. Indeed, we could hold a coin toss, heads Silver takes the Obama side, tails he takes Romney.

In fact, the NYTimes should require that Silver, and other pundits, bet their beliefs. Furthermore, to remove any possibility of manipulation, the NYTimes should escrow a portion of Silver's salary in a blind trust bet. In other words, the NYTimes should bet a portion of Silver's salary, at the odds implied by Silver's model, randomly choosing which side of the bet to take, only revealing to Silver the bet and its outcome after the election is over. A blind trust bet creates incentives for Silver to be disinterested in the outcome but very interested in the accuracy of the forecast.

Overall, I am for betting because I am against bullshit. Bullshit is polluting our discourse and drowning the facts. A bet costs the bullshitter more than the non-bullshitter so the willingness to bet signals honest belief. A bet is a tax on bullshit; and it is a just tax, tribute paid by the bullshitters to those with genuine knowledge.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Stupid.  Enough with the Silver Hate already.  It's probability, not prediction.

Sheilbh

It was a disgrace.  I've never read anything more schoolmarmish than that 'Public Editor' piece - and I read Enid Blyton as a kid.  The 'Gray Lady' seems a very appropriate nickname.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Also, 'betting is inappropriate for a Times journalist'?

Christ, and they wonder why they're failing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2012, 09:42:32 PM
Stupid.  Enough with the Silver Hate already.  It's probability, not prediction.

No. He is whiny homo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

You just don't like him because he's thinner than you.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2012, 09:51:22 PM
You just don't like him because he's thinner than you.

Dear god, he is just a line then.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

And speaking of, where the hell is Yi?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Silver's views were already known. The Times is full of crap that he lost anything here. Bet to your heart's content, Nate.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

I think he's right.  Talking heads wouldn't spout so much bullshit if they actually had some sort of consequence for saying it.  There was a whole bunch of Republican pundits 4 years ago talking about a McCain victory, even a landslide.  They knew it wasn't true (or if they didn't they were truly crazy).  It was just bullshit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017