Different Perceptions of Reality in the US Presidential Election

Started by Jacob, November 02, 2012, 12:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on November 05, 2012, 07:59:50 AM
Yeah, that's right--the people who actually pay their own bills are the freeriders who are making everything  cost more for everybody.  You just go on believing that.

If you pay cash like Ed Anger at the emergency room, then goody for you.  America thanks you.
When your appendix ruptures, make sure you have your checkbook with you prior to discharge, mmmkaythx

merithyn

Yeah, that's right--the people who actually pay their own bills are the freeriders who are making everything  cost more for everybody.  You just go on believing that.

Since my three-hour trip to the ER to diagnose an ulcer came out to around $7000, I'm curious to know how you're going to manage that if something really serious happens to you.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2012, 08:03:46 AM

If you pay cash like Ed Anger at the emergency room, then goody for you.  America thanks you.
When your appendix ruptures, make sure you have your checkbook with you prior to discharge, mmmkaythx

What the fuck. I have insurance. Like I wanted to pay the 300K plus for my broke leg in '06.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

My take on Silver pretty much tracks Otto: partisans on both sides of the blogosphere are mis-reading/mis-understanding his analyses.

For a more serious criticism on Silver's work:
http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/11/04/tarnished-silver-assessing-the-new-king-of-stats/

this gets into some detail about Silver's previous forecasting work for Baseball Prospectus and his problems with the latest British election.

I think some of it is overly harsh - while Silver's model may be poorly optimized for the three party race, that shouldn't affect its application to the US.  Re the the baseball stuff, conceptually the PECOTA system that Silver designed is pretty clever, because it can adjust for all sorts of factors that can impact career devleopment without formally modelling each one.  There are basic theoretical shortcomings to that kind of approach of which the "Ichiro" problem is one.   Some of the complaints Cosh raises may be more due to the fact that Baseball Prospectus is for profit and thus PECOTA was (and must be) proprietary, which therefore decreases transparency.

The broader point is that Silver is not some kind of unique wunderkind, but a clever kid with a decent background statistics who saw a market opportunity that a numbers-phobic media had left wide open. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Man,the nurses in '06 were great. The flirty Kentucky girl and the occupational therapist  especially.

And the 2 that put the catheter in when I was having trouble from all the gas they pumped into me.