News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Argentina lowers voting age to 16

Started by jimmy olsen, November 02, 2012, 08:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on November 02, 2012, 11:41:47 AM
Teenagers fit none of those criteria;  They're not significant, they're not people and they have no stake in the system.

I concur! :mad:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Viking

Yeah, because hormonal teenagers will make much more mature sensible decisions than the present argentine electorate. I'm serious, just look at the record of the presidents the adults pick!
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Caliga

*reads OP*

What the French Toast....!?

I think we need to colonize Argentina.  WHITE MAN'S BURDEN
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on November 02, 2012, 03:56:54 PM

Argentinians are white people man.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2012, 03:58:18 PM

There's at least 3 things wrong with this sentence.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

They speak Spanish.  That's not what white people do.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Richard Hakluyt

I guess that just goes to show that white people are not necessarily as good as they are cracked out to be  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on November 02, 2012, 04:14:08 PM
They speak Spanish.  That's not what white people do.

Yep, that automatically makes them Mexican (mixed Celtiberian/Moor/Aztec), even if their ancestors were from Germany.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Zanza on November 02, 2012, 09:17:00 AM
Why is 16 worse than say 18 or 21? In the end, it's arbitrary and as we allow some other "adult" things at age 16 too (alcohol, driver's license, sexual consent, marriage, joining military etc. depending on jurisdiction), I don't really see an objective argument why voting age can't be set at 16.

Part of the rationale (at least in the US) is that you don't want high school students voting in elections for the local school board.

derspiess

*reads OP*

On it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on November 04, 2012, 08:46:24 PM
*reads OP*

On it.

Well, you colonized *one* Argentinian. It's a start.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zanza

Quote from: dps on November 04, 2012, 07:38:36 PM
Quote from: Zanza on November 02, 2012, 09:17:00 AM
Why is 16 worse than say 18 or 21? In the end, it's arbitrary and as we allow some other "adult" things at age 16 too (alcohol, driver's license, sexual consent, marriage, joining military etc. depending on jurisdiction), I don't really see an objective argument why voting age can't be set at 16.

Part of the rationale (at least in the US) is that you don't want high school students voting in elections for the local school board.
Why not? That's the one institution they know and care about. I would expect that a majority of 16 year old high school students is rational and moderate. Some kind of participation in what school is about seems to be reasonable, after all they are major stakeholders and are directly affected.

garbon

I don't think they would be rational about decisions for their school. Do you remember being 16?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.