Different Perceptions of Reality in the US Presidential Election

Started by Jacob, November 02, 2012, 12:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Why would crossing the street whe someone is following you be a strange reaction, anyway?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

I know i would have crossed the street if Spellus was coming.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Wasn't squeelus the one accosted by a pack of 5th graders?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Count

Obama's clearly the favorite based on favorable state polls but the margin is so close that Silver or no I'm still only cautiously optimistic.

Fallows is a great and very informative writer. His debate previews are must reads every four years (he was very prescient about what would happen in the first debate). He's also a liberal. There's a difference between having a viewpoint and being a partisan hack.
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

Count

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/opinions/outlook-crystal-ball-contest/

Jim Cramer thinks Obama will win 440 electoral votes.  :lol:

Otherwise I think this is a fairly good look at the consensus: Obama's favored, Dems likely to retain the Senate, Republicans very likely to retain the House.

Count

Eddie Teach

Take Count's map and give Romney Florida, Virginia and Ohio and he still loses. He *has* to win one of those Western or Midwestern tossup states. That's why he hasn't given up on campaigning in Wisconsin and Minnesota.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Count

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 03, 2012, 10:07:31 PM
Take Count's map and give Romney Florida, Virginia and Ohio and he still loses. He *has* to win one of those Western or Midwestern tossup states. That's why he hasn't given up on campaigning in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

That's true, but if the polls are wrong and Romney wins nationally by 2 points then he'll win the EC. I would be surprised (and horrified) with another popular / electoral split. I guess on the plus side if the Republicans are screwed this time there might be momentum for changing the system

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

The Economist is reporting that Obama has given up on Florida and yanked most of his resources.

That caught be a bit by surprise.  Florida has been the most battlegroundy of battleground states for as long as I can remember.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this or not, but if Obama wins Ohio and the whole shebang, can anyone else see the parallel between Bush/steel and Obama/autos?

Zoupa

11B4V

I was going to say Obama/Oil. Prices around here have taken a steep dive.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".