News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Voting for President, for the wrong reasons?

Started by Berkut, November 01, 2012, 02:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Sheilbh, have you seriously considered coming to America to work as a journalist? Brits are over-represented here. You are really, really talented.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Anything would be better than Piers Morgan and Martin 'flag code' Bashir.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

:lol: Cheers, but Andrew Sullivan's cornered the market for overwrought gay Anglo-Catholics :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 04, 2012, 01:12:40 PM
Anything would be better than Piers Morgan and Martin 'flag code' Bashir.

Christ yes.  I honestly couldn't figure out who is the biggest jackass.  If Piers Morgan grilled Charles Manson in an interview, I'd sympathize with Charlie.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2012, 01:13:55 PM
:lol: Cheers, but Andrew Sullivan's cornered the market for overwrought gay Anglo-Catholics :(

:lol:

And there's nothing wrong with Martin Bashir.  He's a biracial angel.  :mad:

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 04, 2012, 01:18:46 PM

Somebody is drinking the grape Kool Aid.

CountDeMoney

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 04, 2012, 01:18:46 PM

He's genetically-engineered.  :)

...oh wait.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Queequeg

Somewhat ironically, I think your ideological attachments are almost 180% flipped,even if positions are similar.. He's also a bit more bourgeois or posh, by merit if not by birth.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Berkut

Ended up voting pretty much a straight Dem ticket.

Pretty pissed off that I had to choose between voting for the assholes who decided to refuse to govern over the guy who didn't have the competence to stop them from doing it.

Kind of ridiculous really that I decided to go with the choice of well meaning incompetence over successful maliciousness.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on November 06, 2012, 05:14:42 PM

Pretty pissed off that I had to choose between voting for the assholes who decided to refuse to govern over the guy who didn't have the competence to stop them from doing it.

Kind of ridiculous really that I decided to go with the choice of well meaning incompetence over successful maliciousness.

At the end of the day the well meaning guy might get it right but the malicious guy will always get it wrong.

CountDeMoney

Whether or not you did the right thing is one thing;  but you did the moral thing.  You feel dirty now, but you'll feel better later.  :hug:

Sheilbh

How could one side force the other to govern?  What you're saying is basically that the Republicans haven't operated in good faith these last four years, and I agree, but I don't see how any super-competent President could change that?

There's that great (and entirely accurate) Mitch McConnell line 'we worked very hard to keep our fingerprints off of these proposals, because we thought — correctly, I think — that the only way the American people would know that a great debate was going on was if the measures were not bipartisan. When you hang the 'bipartisan' tag on something, the perception is that differences have been worked out, and there's a broad agreement that that's the way forward.'  So there's that and the 'one-term President' priority.  In the Senate (where Republicans filibustered the very first bill Obama proposed, which passed 77-20) you can more or less stop anything from happening, doubly so once you won the House.

What do you think a more competent Obama administration could have done to thwart that?
Let's bomb Russia!

frunk

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2012, 06:21:34 PM
How could one side force the other to govern?  What you're saying is basically that the Republicans haven't operated in good faith these last four years, and I agree, but I don't see how any super-competent President could change that?

There's that great (and entirely accurate) Mitch McConnell line 'we worked very hard to keep our fingerprints off of these proposals, because we thought — correctly, I think — that the only way the American people would know that a great debate was going on was if the measures were not bipartisan. When you hang the 'bipartisan' tag on something, the perception is that differences have been worked out, and there's a broad agreement that that's the way forward.'  So there's that and the 'one-term President' priority.  In the Senate (where Republicans filibustered the very first bill Obama proposed, which passed 77-20) you can more or less stop anything from happening, doubly so once you won the House.

What do you think a more competent Obama administration could have done to thwart that?

I think he should have stared them down.  Particularly on the budget crap they pulled, where they rejected the bipartisan compromise that he made with Boehner.  At that point he had a deal with some Republicans, and if the rest of their base refuses to cooperate the mess that results would have been completely in the holdout's laps.  He showed he was willing to work with Congress, but that they weren't willing to work with him.  Instead they came up with the ridiculous delayed hand grenade that'll be giving us fits again during the next couple of months.