News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are your Hallowe'en plans tonight?

Started by Barrister, October 31, 2012, 02:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 10:14:00 AM
So is it always off limits if a white person happens to want to dress up as a black celebrity to either imitate or mock that celebrity?  If not, then how does one pull that off?

Knew a guy that went as OJ Simpson once, wearing an orange jumpsuit and a glove.  Everybody knew who it was, and no black face needed.  Same could go for a Cosby sweater if it's ugly enough.  :P

WHY MUST YOU ALWAYS ONLY SEE SKIN COLOR DERSPIESS

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 10:19:39 AM
So then you're limited to whomever masks are made for :(

Making your own isn't hard, if you don't insist on total realism.

A cheap-n-easy way is to simply get a full-face photo, stick it on a flat bit of cardboard, and cut out the shape, around the mouth, and the eyeholes, mount it on a stick, and use it like a Venetian-style mask (that is, you hold the mask in front of your face on the stick).

That way, you can do a characature of any celeb you want: the fun is in the caracature outfit to match. 

Extra fun: make the mask double-sided by having a different pic on the other side (either the same person with a radically different expression, or a totally different person).  Then, you can switch back and forth.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 10:22:06 AM
So is it always off limits if a white person happens to want to dress up as a black celebrity to either imitate or mock that celebrity?  If not, then how does one pull that off?

Knew a guy that went as OJ Simpson once, wearing an orange jumpsuit and a glove.  Everybody knew who it was, and no black face needed.  Same could go for a Cosby sweater if it's ugly enough.  :P

WHY MUST YOU ALWAYS ONLY SEE SKIN COLOR DERSPIESS

Could've been Michael Jackson.  Sorta.

Anyway, I'm sure there were OJ masks in the 90s.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2012, 10:24:36 AM
A cheap-n-easy way is to simply get a full-face photo, stick it on a flat bit of cardboard, and cut out the shape, around the mouth, and the eyeholes, mount it on a stick, and use it like a Venetian-style mask (that is, you hold the mask in front of your face on the stick).

That way, you can do a characature of any celeb you want: the fun is in the caracature outfit to match. 

My best friend's little girl has a Shannon Sharpe mask-thingie like that she got at a Broncos game and she uses it all the time.  Hilarious to see his big face on some 5-year old white girl's body.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Oh come on man.  I know you are a yankee but even you should know why blackface is not cool.

You can still make fun of celebrities but not like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2012, 01:20:31 PM
Oh come on man.  I know you are a yankee but even you should know why blackface is not cool.

You can still make fun of celebrities but not like that.

If we're talking *real* blackface, like Seedy's mammies, then yeah.  But putting on brown makeup to look more like someone you're dressing up as, I don't think that should offend.  I know that it does-- I'm just saying it shouldn't in Obama's post-racial America.

I mean my nephew used red hair spray to go trick-or-treating as Andy Dalton.  Should redheads get all huffy & puffy over something like that?

CountDeMoney

Why you gotta drag my mammies into this?  They give my kitchen a southern flair.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 01:35:10 PM
If we're talking *real* blackface, like Seedy's mammies, then yeah.  But putting on brown makeup to look more like someone you're dressing up as, I don't think that should offend.  I know that it does-- I'm just saying it shouldn't in Obama's post-racial America.

I mean my nephew used red hair spray to go trick-or-treating as Andy Dalton.  Should redheads get all huffy & puffy over something like that?

It's too soon.  Gotta wait at least until the Civil Rights generation dies out.  As long as this stuff is still in living memory, at the very least, you gotta be smart about it.  It is not like we are talking ancient history here.

As far as the red headed thing LOL.  Come on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

That's not insulting to red heads, that's insulting to quarterbacks.  :P

garbon

I'm just saying it shouldn't in Obama's post-racial America.

Camille Paglia said he's made America more divisive on race than before he was elected.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2012, 01:38:33 PM
Camille Paglia said he's made America more divisive on race than before he was elected.

Of course he has:  after all, The Black Man has a right to be successful in America, but he can't be too successful.  Cracker Nation has issues with that.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2012, 01:37:35 PM

It's too soon.  Gotta wait at least until the Civil Rights generation dies out.  As long as this stuff is still in living memory, at the very least, you gotta be smart about it.  It is not like we are talking ancient history here.

As far as the red headed thing LOL.  Come on.

Crap. Waiting out the Civil War generation was boring enough.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 01:38:33 PM

Within earshot of my brother I asked him to show me how he throws pick-6's on the would-be comeback drive.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2012, 01:37:35 PM

Yes, you are.

If you're talking about "real blackface", it's use pretty much died out in the 1930s, and absolutely completely died out by the 60s.  Blackface was a Vaudeville staple for goodness sakes, and vaudeville has been dead and buried for a long, long time.

I'm with derspeiss.  I understand that some people find it offensive so I wouldn't do it, but I don't really agree with those that find it offensive.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 01, 2012, 01:45:30 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 01:38:33 PM

Within earshot of my brother I asked him to show me how he throws pick-6's on the would-be comeback drive.

:lol: "No, I didn't say Klinger, I said Dalton!"