Started by garbon, October 25, 2012, 01:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2012, 01:45:26 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 01, 2012, 01:44:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 01, 2012, 01:39:08 PM
I'm glad you can count? :unsure:

:rolleyes:

Well I can't see any other reason for your comment unless you were just trying to be a pain in the ass. :)

Maybe it was an impression ?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai

Quote from: mongers on November 01, 2012, 03:40:49 PM

Well I can't see any other reason for your comment unless you were just trying to be a pain in the ass. :)

Maybe it was an impression ?  :hmm:

Of who, we have a lot of pain in the asses here.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

citizen k

I'm pretty good at discerning the tone of most posts. His seemed to be an innocent offhand comment.  Superfluous to your original comments to be sure, nonetheless it was a neutral toned post.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 07:38:01 AM
I'd rather see AIG's data centers get back online before free trade coffee houses.

AIG and every other company everywhere should have failover data centers in a different geographic region.

Of course, most probably can't even do nightly backups right.

garbon

Quote from: garbon on October 31, 2012, 05:10:27 PM
My hotel room has a private roof deck with chaise lounges. Definitely different from what I was in last night!

Now I'm on a bus. Feeling like Cinderella.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on November 01, 2012, 06:23:23 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 01, 2012, 07:38:01 AM
I'd rather see AIG's data centers get back online before free trade coffee houses.

AIG and every other company everywhere should have failover data centers in a different geographic region.

Should.  SHOULD.

CountDeMoney

My Dad finally heard from his Uncle Paul in Staten Island.  Some buddies from the VFW came to get him.

The Japanese couldn't kill him, he wasn't worried about a hurricane.

DontSayBanana

Ya know, it annoys me how many places are like this.  It's not like that's CCP-level work- every freaking A+ student has to know good backup policy, and yet virtually no company I've come across does it correctly.  You think that's corner-cutting, laziness, or just stupid, willful ignorance?
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

It's purse string holders not understanding how their companies work.

Tubes! It's just Tubes!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 02, 2012, 10:53:21 AM
Ya know, it annoys me how many places are like this.  It's not like that's CCP-level work- every freaking A+ student has to know good backup policy, and yet virtually no company I've come across does it correctly.  You think that's corner-cutting, laziness, or just stupid, willful ignorance?

Yup, like GF says, it's the MBAtard bean counters that determine the final outcome.  YOU WANT US TO SPEND HOW MUCH ON SOMETHING THAT *MIGHT* HAPPEN????

Us worker bees just try to fit a round peg into a square hole the best we can, and try not to look snarky when we show them the email from 2 years earlier, saying, "yeah, this is when we told you this would happen".

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 02, 2012, 11:15:42 AM

Yup, like GF says, it's the MBAtard bean counters that determine the final outcome.  YOU WANT US TO SPEND HOW MUCH ON SOMETHING THAT *MIGHT* HAPPEN????

Us worker bees just try to fit a round peg into a square hole the best we can, and try not to look snarky when we show them the email from 2 years earlier, saying, "yeah, this is when we told you this would happen".

You'd love it here.  With the attention we pay to disaster recovery & whatnot it has to take up about a third of our budget.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 02, 2012, 11:23:14 AM
You'd love it here.  With the attention we pay to disaster recovery & whatnot it has to take up about a third of our budget.

Alas, so did we.  That shit ended quick.  Shareholder value and whatnot.

And here I sit, managing my own disaster recovery.

MadImmortalMan

My production environment could sink into the ocean and I'd have it all back online in less than 45 minutes. Virtual environments are the shit.

But, for people like AIG with massive infrastructure needs, I don't think they can be nimble enough to convert everything that fast. They probably have banks of old-school mainframes that can't be mirrored and stuff like that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

People are bitching that Bloomberg is kicking refugees out of hotels to make room for marathon visitors.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Grey Fox

How can they have that Marathon. Staten Island is barely out of the water.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.