Erasing All The People In Close Proximity To a Particular Book.

Started by mongers, October 18, 2012, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 18, 2012, 09:25:41 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 18, 2012, 09:04:46 PM
About 3 more then finished the book.  So it's like 9 people in all.

Quote from: wikipediaThe sales of Atlas Shrugged have since then sharply increased, according to The Economist magazine and The New York Times. The Economist reported that the fifty-two-year-old novel ranked #33 among Amazon.com's top-selling books on January 13, 2009 and that its thirty day sales average showed the novel selling three times faster than during the same period of the previous year. With an attached sales chart, The Economist reported that sales "spikes" of the book seemed to coincide with the release of economic data. Subsequently, on April 2, 2009, Atlas Shrugged ranked #1 in the "Fiction and Literature" category at Amazon and #15 in overall sales.[65][66][67] Total sales of the novel in 2009 exceeded 500,000 copies.[68] The book sold 445,000 copies in 2011, the second-strongest sales year in the novel's history. At the time of publication the novel was on the New York Times best-seller list and was selling at roughly a third the volume of 2011.[69]

I guess you missed it the first time, so I bolded it this time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 18, 2012, 10:01:53 PM
I finished the book. Wasn't hard.

Well, you share that quality with a handful of crazy people.  Congrats!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Brazen

I would say 50 Shades... but everyone in London is within 10 feet of a copy. Like rats.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on October 19, 2012, 05:26:05 AM
I would say 50 Shades... but everyone in London is within 10 feet of a copy. Like rats.

Those people will hopefully die of something stupid sooner or later, like drowning in the shower or falling to their deaths off a curb. 

Razgovory

Eddie Teach

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2012, 07:27:01 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2012, 03:48:42 AM
The Bible.  :cool:

Ooh.  Russian domination of Europe or Muslim.  Who would it fall to?

You would be surprised about it. Europe is not the US - people here do not normally own the Bible.

DGuller

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2012, 08:32:39 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 19, 2012, 07:27:01 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 19, 2012, 03:48:42 AM
The Bible.  :cool:

Ooh.  Russian domination of Europe or Muslim.  Who would it fall to?

You would be surprised about it. Europe is not the US - people here do not normally own the Bible.

I don't know, there seems to still be a fair amount of ownership.  I immediately wanted to discount these numbers because of who the study was for, but the research was actually undertaken by a well known market research firm.

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0802435.htm

QuoteThe percentage of respondents who said they had a Bible at home was 93 percent in the United States, 85 percent in Poland, 75 percent in Italy, 74 percent in Germany, 67 percent in both the United Kingdom and the Netherlands, 65 percent in Russia, 61 percent in Spain and 48 percent in France.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/poll-u-s-more-bible-wired-prayerful-than-europe-s-christian-nations-32160/

QuoteThree-quarters of American respondents said they had read a phrase from the Bible in the past 12 months, found the poll conducted by GFK-Eurisko research group for the Catholic Biblical Federation, according to Reuters.

In comparison, only 20 to 38 percent of respondents from the other eight countries surveyed – Britain, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Russia, Italy, Spain and Poland – replied they had read from the Bible in the past year.

At least that readership figure is somewhat in line with what Gallup found 8 years prior (didn't ask on ownership)

http://www.gallup.com/poll/2416/six-ten-americans-read-bible-least-occasionally.aspx
QuoteSix in Ten Americans Read Bible at Least Occasionally

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach