Committing genocide

Started by Razgovory, October 18, 2012, 10:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on October 18, 2012, 11:26:35 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 18, 2012, 11:12:23 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 18, 2012, 10:53:12 AM
Saudi Arabia.
And here I would have put money on you picking Vatican City.

As for me, it's gotta be China.

I don't think Vatican is such a good idea.

If the genocide targets all people within the borders of a country at the time when it occurs, then you would be killing a lot of innocent tourists.

If it targets only "citizens" of a given country, then most cardinals etc. wouldn't be affected, as they are formally citizens of their home countries and not of Vatican (I am not even sure whether Vatican has official citizenship, but I assume they must have something).

Innocence proves nothing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on October 18, 2012, 10:54:34 AM
I was going to post, but I really want a position in government at some point in my life.  :lol:

Do you really think that you could have a government career, if the government knew about Languish posting past? :D

Kleves

If I say Russia, do I get the Poles, too?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Eddie Teach

I think expectations will be relaxed somewhat after people who have grown up with internet start coming to power. So typical Languish banter may be given a pass. But calling for genocide isn't really typical, except from Neil and CDM.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Quote from: Martinus on October 18, 2012, 11:28:16 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on October 18, 2012, 10:54:34 AM
I was going to post, but I really want a position in government at some point in my life.  :lol:

Do you really think that you could have a government career, if the government knew about Languish posting past? :D
Most of the jobs I am interested in wouldn't mind that I'm extremely opinionated on history.  Or that I smoked pot in College so I could deepen my appreciation of Paprika.  Casually endorsing genocide?  Not so much.

I also just think it's wrong.  Pakistan is a geostrategic nuisance and an almost inevitable source of disaster that is built upon anti-Hindu hatred, but there's a ton of culture there that is worth saving from the Salafis, the Taliban and all the other idiots.  Just killing people would make us worse than the worst Pakistan has to offer. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

It's not "us" it's just you.  Like crazy space aliens came down and forced you to choose.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: Razgovory on October 18, 2012, 11:38:10 AM
It's not "us" it's just you.  Like crazy space aliens came down and forced you to choose.
I'm not doing a national Sophie's Choice.  That's perverse. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 18, 2012, 10:56:46 AM
Jake will pick nothing. BB is a watchfull eye and, as canadian, we can't advocate genocide.

It's not advocating genocide any more than answering the trite "if you could go back in time, would you kill baby Hitler" conundrum is advocating child murder.  :huh:

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on October 18, 2012, 11:39:02 AM

You know you want to, otherwise you wouldn't have posted in this thread.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Why not? I find this attitude puzzling - noone is asking you to endorse genocide, you are being asked a hypothetical. Most ethical dilemmas debated in philosophy and ethics classes concern the hypothetical of people involved performing an action that is considered immoral by their standards - I have never seen anyone refusing to participate in such exercises on moral grounds.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 18, 2012, 11:44:02 AM

His reaction betrays some deep and dark psychological undercurrents that he is afraid to confront, imho.

Kleves

Quote from: Martinus on October 18, 2012, 11:46:12 AM
I have never seen anyone refusing to participate in such exercises on moral grounds.
fahdiz would.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on October 18, 2012, 11:47:25 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 18, 2012, 11:44:02 AM

His reaction betrays some deep and dark psychological undercurrents that he is afraid to confront, imho.

Undercurrents that his long monologues on race theory haven't already betrayed?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

:rolleyes:

Biological anthropology isn't race theory.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on October 18, 2012, 11:42:43 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 18, 2012, 10:56:46 AM
Jake will pick nothing. BB is a watchfull eye and, as canadian, we can't advocate genocide.

It's not advocating genocide any more than answering the trite "if you could go back in time, would you kill baby Hitler" conundrum is advocating child murder.  :huh:

I rather not let BB make that judgement call.

;)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.