Existential Ennui of the First Order

Started by Camerus, October 18, 2012, 07:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2012, 12:04:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2012, 11:56:26 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2012, 11:46:33 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 23, 2012, 11:26:35 AM
The trouble with settling down into the family thing to stop depression is that its so damn final.
Sure, there might be days when it sounds tempting....but its a lifelong commitment. Its gotta get old before too long. You won't go your entire life without having anything else to do.

You are making the same fundamental error Garbon was making.  One does not settle down into a family for the purpose of stopping dpression but having a family is a good way of avoiding depression for the very reason that it is a lifelong commitment and more importantly attachment.

Unless of course that isn't enough for someone. Not everyone is the same and that might not be the cure-all for one's ennui - which of course PP has now said himself.

I am not sure why you keep making the same fundamental error.  It is not a cure.  It is a lifestyle that lends itself to not having the types of problems PP is complaining about.

How is it not being posited as a cure if PP is currently having problems and you are suggesting a "lifestyle" where he will not have problems?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

This thread is evidence that even people like CC who have kids can experience ennui. :zzz:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

I bet Jacob has tantric sex.  With aromatherapy candles.  And incense.  And New Age music with, like, ocean waves and shit.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 23, 2012, 01:22:27 PM
This thread is evidence that even people like CC who have kids can experience ennui. :zzz:

No kidding.  I have to stop reading Garbon's posts for a while.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 23, 2012, 01:22:58 PM
I bet Jacob has tantric sex.  With aromatherapy candles.  And incense.  And New Age music with, like, ocean waves and shit.

:huh:

Is that supposed to be good or bad?

CountDeMoney

You tell me, Crouching Tiger.  I can't do tantric.  Hell, I can't get out of the Jeep without pulling something anymore.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 23, 2012, 03:11:26 PM
You tell me, Crouching Tiger.  I can't do tantric.  Hell, I can't get out of the Jeep without pulling something anymore.

Time to get a buick.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 23, 2012, 03:11:26 PM

:lol:

Camerus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2012, 10:56:20 AM
Well that is the root of your problem isnt it.  You are contemplating and not doing.  Viscious cycle I suppose but one you need to break at some point by doing something - anything really.  Pretend I linked back to Jacob's original post here.

Actually, you are mistaken.  I work full-time 6 days a week, am taking 2 different university courses in my spare time, have a time-consuming relationship, and am following a defined career plan so I have very little free time to contemplate such things. 

My OP was made whilst rather drunk, and thus not entirely reflective of how my life actually is (as I stated before).  That being said, I think that on the path I am now, things are a bit prescriptive, and I kind of miss the freedom I used to have even a few years ago.  I wonder whether marriage might make me feel that way to an even greater extent, or if I'd get used to it.

Anyhow, my main new idea is to try to inject some excitement into my life through more travel.

Ed Anger

Whale song. And that one whale talking in the background.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on October 23, 2012, 11:37:37 AM
The trouble with settling down into the family thing to stop depression is that its so damn final.
Sure, there might be days when it sounds tempting....but its a lifelong commitment. Its gotta get old before too long. You won't go your entire life without having anything else to do.

If you're married with kids there is never any shortage of something else to do. :lol:
Yeah, family stuff, I mean anything else. You might be 10 years in then realise something you really want to do with your life but you can't because you're stuck on the family path.
Or you can't without being a dick anyway.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 23, 2012, 06:56:51 PM

Whale song. And that one whale talking in the background.

Leave Katami out of this.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on October 24, 2012, 04:43:31 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 23, 2012, 11:37:37 AM

If you're married with kids there is never any shortage of something else to do. :lol:
Yeah, family stuff, I mean anything else. You might be 10 years in then realise something you really want to do with your life but you can't because you're stuck on the family path.
Or you can't without being a dick anyway.

That's true of all life choices. You get the same possibility for regrets if you don't have kids when young - eventually, it isn't possible to do anymore, at least without major trauma (who wants to be a parent of a young child when approaching retirement, even if it is medically possible?)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on October 24, 2012, 10:14:20 AM
That's true of all life choices. You get the same possibility for regrets if you don't have kids when young - eventually, it isn't possible to do anymore, at least without major trauma (who wants to be a parent of a young child when approaching retirement, even if it is medically possible?)

Worked for Tony Randall.  Fucker died before they could get old enough to pierce their tongues or set the house on fire.  Works for me.