News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Épée Police Fail.

Started by mongers, October 17, 2012, 02:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

The Lancashire Evening Post has a photo of the fellow who was tasered (and his stick) :

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/police-confuse-blind-stick-for-samurai-sword-1-5034230

A terrifying sight  :P

It's daylight at 5.45 pm round here at the moment btw.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2012, 03:21:12 PM
But sadly, a number of people have been shot and killed by police for carrying, and refusing to drop, items that ultimately turned out to be harmless. :(

And it's pretty clear that the blame should fall on the individual with the gun.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2012, 03:27:33 PM
But sadly, a number of people have been shot and killed by police for carrying, and refusing to drop, items that ultimately turned out to be harmless. :(

And it's pretty clear that the blame should fall on the individual with the gun.

Nope. :)

If an assailant is coming towards you, hostile intent, and appears to be carrying a gun or knife an officer should deploy their sidearm after the individual fails to comply with verbal demands. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

A friend of mine has an umbrella that, until unsheathed, looks like a samurai sword.  I tell her she's gotta be careful carrying that around these days.

Malthus

I remember talking with a cop about a samurai sword case.  He was called out to a report of a guy walking down the street waving a samurai sword on Christmas Day.  The cop told me he had a sinking feeling that he was going to have to shoot this guy on Christmas Day if he wouldn't drop the sword.

Yeah, but I bet that cop would have felt even worse if he shot the guy on Christmas and it turned out he was carrying a candy cane and not a samurai sword.  :lol:

The police knew he was suspicious because he was in disguise - he was dressed in a fake beard. They knew he was deranged because he kept laughing "ho ho ho" ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 17, 2012, 03:54:30 PM
A friend of mine has an umbrella that, until unsheathed, looks like a samurai sword.  I tell her she's gotta be careful carrying that around these days.

Apparently, even a normal umbrella isn't safe.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 17, 2012, 03:57:13 PM
I remember talking with a cop about a samurai sword case.  He was called out to a report of a guy walking down the street waving a samurai sword on Christmas Day.  The cop told me he had a sinking feeling that he was going to have to shoot this guy on Christmas Day if he wouldn't drop the sword.

Yeah, but I bet that cop would have felt even worse if he shot the guy on Christmas and it turned out he was carrying a candy cane and not a samurai sword.  :lol:

Well of course!

I mean I don't want to take away from the pain this man felt as a result of a mistake - and it clearly was a mistake.  That being said, mistakes happen, and if the cop is to be believed, and this were to happen in Canada, the cop acted reasonably and wouldn't be charged.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2012, 03:51:24 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2012, 03:27:33 PM

Nope. :)

If an assailant is coming towards you, hostile intent, and appears to be carrying a gun or knife an officer should deploy their sidearm after the individual fails to comply with verbal demands. 

And it's no surprise that very few people like the police.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2012, 04:01:07 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 17, 2012, 03:57:13 PM

Well of course!

I mean I don't want to take away from the pain this man felt as a result of a mistake - and it clearly was a mistake.  That being said, mistakes happen, and if the cop is to be believed, and this were to happen in Canada, the cop acted reasonably and wouldn't be charged.

I don't think he should be charged with a criminal offence. I do think that mistaking a blind man's cane for a samurai sword in broad daylight ain't reasonable. Cop hit the aggression button too soon, seemingly in a panic, which should bring public pressure to bear on the cops to improve performance (and no doubt earn this cop a bit of a verbal butt-kicking by his superiors) ... which no doubt is what is happening.

Razgovory

Probably thought it was Lettow, can't be to careful these days.  All sorts of weirdos out there pretending to be blind.

Seriously though, I'm not entirely certain how I would react if unseen assailants started screaming nonsensical demands at me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2012, 03:00:24 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 17, 2012, 02:58:40 PM
The level of risk that a police officer faces in the UK, especially in a place like Chorley, simply does not permit this sort of stupid shoot first attitude.

YOU DONT KNOW THAT

Came for the Hot Fuzz reference, am satisfied.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Well since he shot the guy in the back, it's somewhat hard to argue that the police officer could have been threatened.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DontSayBanana

Err on the side of caution?  Unless it was pitch black, there's no way a cop with basic weapon identification ability should mistake this:

for this:

Experience bij!

Razgovory

It's hard to tell when he's not facing you.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 17, 2012, 08:03:43 PM
Err on the side of caution?  Unless it was pitch black, there's no way a cop with basic weapon identification ability should mistake this:

Are cops trained at the academy to tell a samurai sword from a Claymore, a sabre or an epee?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?