News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Épée Police Fail.

Started by mongers, October 17, 2012, 02:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

The only sword that could be mistaken for is maybe an epee or a fencing saber.  Any narrow sword like that is going to have some kind of basket or handguard, so yes, I'd still expect them to be able to tell the difference.  Again, unless it's low visibility conditions, which could be likely since the real sword-carrier sounds like a drunk and disorderly.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

A fucking stick's a stick, people.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2012, 09:04:17 PM

Do police in Baltimore just zap blind people as a matter of course because they are waving around sticks?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2012, 03:27:33 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 17, 2012, 03:21:12 PM
But sadly, a number of people have been shot and killed by police for carrying, and refusing to drop, items that ultimately turned out to be harmless. :(

And it's pretty clear that the blame should fall on the individual with the gun.

don't do that brother talk here, Mr. Republican Voter

Martinus

Barrister as always in cases like this proves to be a square cretin.

Martinus

Anyway, in times like this, I kinda wonder how did the police manage to get by in the old days when tasers werent available? Because I'm pretty sure bobbies did not just go around shooting random people down - and I'm also pretty sure swords have been the technological advance known in Britain for quite a while.

Ed Anger

They can always go back to caving in skulls with nightsticks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on October 18, 2012, 04:38:53 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2012, 09:04:17 PM

Do police in Baltimore just zap blind people as a matter of course because they are waving around sticks?

Blind's got nothing to do with it.

Richard Hakluyt

The guy who was actually waving the sword around was arrested later, without being tasered, on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly.

CountDeMoney

Yay, you're better than us, etc.

Ed Anger

Drunk and disorderly in the UK. There's a shocker.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on October 17, 2012, 04:16:05 PM
Probably thought it was Lettow, can't be to careful these days.  All sorts of weirdos out there pretending to be blind.

Well, yeah, the suspicion of Lettowism would rate a tasering to be sure.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on October 18, 2012, 06:53:03 AM
Anyway, in times like this, I kinda wonder how did the police manage to get by in the old days when tasers werent available? Because I'm pretty sure bobbies did not just go around shooting random people down - and I'm also pretty sure swords have been the technological advance known in Britain for quite a while.

They used sticks.  Bobbies rarely had guns.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Today in the subway I saw two blind people with sticks. Funny how no one, out of hundreds of people around, started freaking out and calling the cops. Maybe BB and CdM are even more unique snowflakes than we give them credit for.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Scipio

In other news, Zatoichi beheaded the corrupt prefecture policeman and went back to whistling.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt