Probably the biggest turn we ever made was when the women got the right to vote.

Started by viper37, October 15, 2012, 01:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Nobody is forcing anyone to work for a particular employer. Seems to me if the employer has some bigoted rules in the benefits they would have a more difficult time finding the best people.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 16, 2012, 12:17:50 PM
Nobody is forcing anyone to work for a particular employer. Seems to me if the employer has some bigoted rules in the benefits they would have a more difficult time finding the best people.

I'm not sure how relevant that is in an economy where many people are grateful for the jobs they can get.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Meri: both Target and Walmart offer a month supply of berf control pills for $9.  No insurance required
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2012, 12:29:53 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 16, 2012, 12:17:50 PM

I'm not sure how relevant that is in an economy where many people are grateful for the jobs they can get.

Thank you.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 16, 2012, 12:36:40 PM
Meri: both Target and Walmart offer a month supply of berf control pills for $9.  No insurance required

You know that not all pills are made the same, right? That the $9 pill may not be the one that best suits a woman's medical concerns?

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2012, 10:33:30 AM
Quote from: Neil on October 16, 2012, 10:14:55 AM
'Necessary medications'?  That there is some overblown rhetoric.

Oh?

Other reasons to take the pill
Exactly.  Overblown rhetoric.

They don't call it 'period-relief pill'.  No, it's the 'birth-control pill', or more popularly the 'whore pill'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Scipio

Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2012, 09:04:35 AM
Quote from: Scipio on October 16, 2012, 07:49:05 AM
It's a good thing that women have no concerns beyond their lady parts.

I wonder why I would be disenfranchised by a party that feels that half the population shouldn't get the same healthcare as the other half. Especially when the entire premise is religious fervor from those who believe that women belong barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen with their mouths taped shut.

Now that's a bunch of crap.  My entire premise is that people who can't afford to have kids without government assistance ab initio shouldn't have children.  I'm for birth control, and all that.  I am especially for having the poors forcibly fed birth control, since they can't count to 28, or wear condoms.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2012, 11:52:52 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2012, 11:30:41 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 16, 2012, 11:16:09 AM
Not really.  If you think that using birth control is contrary to the tenets of your faith, wouldn't you find it problematic to be forced to dispense it? And aren't these same people also against abortion? See: Mississippi

Well, if you believe life begins at conception then one of those is murder and the other isn't.

You're simplifying it too much. Catholics not only believe that life begins at conception. They also believe that any form of birth control goes against the biblical imperative to "Go forth and multiply."

Talk about simplifying.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Quote from: Scipio on October 16, 2012, 01:24:43 PM

I wonder why I would be disenfranchised by a party that feels that half the population shouldn't get the same healthcare as the other half. Especially when the entire premise is religious fervor from those who believe that women belong barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen with their mouths taped shut.

Now that's a bunch of crap.  My entire premise is that people who can't afford to have kids without government assistance ab initio shouldn't have children.  I'm for birth control, and all that.  I am especially for having the poors forcibly fed birth control, since they can't count to 28, or wear condoms.

Agreed on all counts (except the counting thing, since I only know a handful of women on a true 28-day cycle). Tell your leader who's trying to take that option out of the equation for women who work for religious groups.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: Scipio on October 16, 2012, 01:24:43 PM

Libertarians are such lovely people.  I can't imagine why the people didn't elect you judge.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2012, 01:33:51 PM
Agreed on all counts (except the counting thing, since I only know a handful of women on a true 28-day cycle). Tell your leader who's trying to take that option out of the equation for women who work for religious groups.
Birth control is a good.  Even religious groups pay their employees with money, which can be exchanged for not only goods, but also services.

You should feel ashamed of yourself, what with all the spinning.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Arguments about health care insurance aside, I think Meri is still missing the point that the Tea Party movement is basically about fiscally responsible government, not social issues.  Tea Party adovocates, as such, really don't really care one way or another whether or not employers, including Catholic institutions, have to include birth control in the health care plans they provide for their employees, so Tea Party influence within the Republican Party is irrelevant to that discussion.  The influence of the "religious right", though, is a different story.

Even if you agree with Meri's position on health care, I think it's unfair to characterize women who disagree with it as "stupid".  First, in order to agree with her, you have to agree with the proposition that the concerns of some women about having affordable access to contraceptives should trump the rights of employers to practice their religious beliefs.  It seems to me that there's a fine line here between the free exercise clause of the 1st Amendment and the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.  I wouldn't characterize people who fall on either side of the argument as "stupid".  Second, it seems to me that even a woman who comes down on the same side of that argument as Meri does could still reasonably decide to vote Republican because she agrees with the Republicans more than the Democrats on other issues, and isn't a single-issue voter.

Additionally, I have a philosophical problem with considering birth control strictly a woman's issue.  A big part of the reason that we have so many unplanned pregnancies is that way too many men don't consider birth control something that they should worry about, and characterizing access to birth control as a woman's issue would tend to just reinforce that attitude.

dps

Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2012, 12:38:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 16, 2012, 12:36:40 PM

You know that not all pills are made the same, right? That the $9 pill may not be the one that best suits a woman's medical concerns?

So?  The generic cholesterol medicine that my health insurance would pay for back when I was carrying health insurance wasn't necessarily the best cholesterol medicine for me, either.