Probably the biggest turn we ever made was when the women got the right to vote.

Started by viper37, October 15, 2012, 01:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2012, 04:30:00 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2012, 03:08:12 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2012, 02:19:55 PM
Easy there, Toots.

I'm sorry. Is insanity too strong a word? How about we go with foolish, irrational, senseless, absurd, folly, reckless, stupid, and/or crazy? That seems to fit any woman who would knowingly and consciously decide to vote for the Tea Party platform.

Umm... I thought equal rights meant you could vote for whomever you want to vote, not whomever the feminist orthodoxy approves of.

:huh:

I didn't say they couldn't. Doesn't mean that I can't/won't call them stupid for it. To be perfectly clear, I think anyone who would vote for the Tea Party is stupid (not Republican, mind you, but Tea Party specifically). It's just that that party platform is intended to keep women "in their place", which makes it doubly stupid for women to vote for them.

Spicy and Ed are of course just trolling you, but I'm sure you understand this one chowderhead is not a spokesman for the tea party movement as a whole.

No, the Tea Party movement is pretty clear where they stand on a lot of these things. While this particular person isn't their spokesman, he/she isn't far off from the platform.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on October 15, 2012, 04:32:42 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2012, 03:46:58 PM
Ah, I see. There's the problem. The above bolded part isn't in play. Easier to control when kept stupid, aren't they?

Nah, not really.  She just doesn't care about politics (believe it or not, some women just have other things they care about a lot more).  FWIW, the brief moments where I've gotten her to discuss politics with me, she tends to agree with me. 

If I left her alone she'd probably just not vote.  But she knows how important is to me so she's happy to vote and do so for the same candidates I choose.

Yeah, you've said it before. I know plenty of people (certainly not a male/female thing) who could give two shits about politics and elections. It bugs me to no end. In all honesty, I really don't care who people vote for so long as they make the effort to learn about the candidates and actually get out there and cast a ballot. I just like to give you crap for getting two votes to my one. :P

QuoteJust curious: Are you planning to let your daughter go to school past the fifth grade? Might want to consider yanking her before then, actually, now that I think about it, or maybe even homeschool her. Wouldn't want her to think that she's an equal, would we?

:rolleyes:

She'll have whatever she wants.

Sorry, this was uncalled for on my part. I'm stressed at work and it came out far more harsh than intended.

You've kind of made the point that I was (feebly) going for, which is that you may talk this game, but there's no doubt that when it comes to your daughter, all bets are off. If she decides to run for POTUS, you'll be the one handing her the microphone. :D

merithyn

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2012, 04:48:43 PM
Why does that matter? :huh: Stupid is stupid no matter the gender.

I think you'd have done a little less frothing and a little more groaning if you hadn't thought it was a man.  :P

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 15, 2012, 04:50:29 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 15, 2012, 04:48:43 PM
Why does that matter? :huh: Stupid is stupid no matter the gender.

I think you'd have done a little less frothing and a little more groaning if you hadn't thought it was a man.  :P

I figured it was a woman, to be honest, but didn't bother to check. Hence my comment that it would be insanity for a woman to vote Tea Party. :contract:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Martinus

Darth Wagtaros

My tea party friend agrees, because women are catty and can't always be trusted to vote properly.
PDH!

Scipio

I can't believe that women would vote for anyone but Obama.  He's bought their vote.  They don't even have to think, just atavistically react to the free birth control trigger in their brainstems.  It's a good thing that women have no concerns beyond their lady parts.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

Quote from: Scipio on October 16, 2012, 07:49:05 AM
I can't believe that women would vote for anyone but Obama.  He's bought their vote.  They don't even have to think, just atavistically react to the free birth control trigger in their brainstems.  It's a good thing that women have no concerns beyond their lady parts.

What did the Libertarians offer to buy your vote?  Magic Beans?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

I'm still trying to find this free birth control. Everyone keeps talking about it, but the only free birth control I've been able to find is the free condoms at the health department. Everything else has to be paid for. I wonder why it is that I can't find it.  :hmm:

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2012, 08:24:21 AM

I'm still trying to find this free birth control. Everyone keeps talking about it, but the only free birth control I've been able to find is the free condoms at the health department. Everything else has to be paid for. I wonder why it is that I can't find it.  :hmm:
:hmm:  Must be your female spatial intelligence.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on October 16, 2012, 08:30:44 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 16, 2012, 08:24:21 AM
:hmm:  Must be your female spatial intelligence.

Reason #24539 on why women shouldn't get the vote: They can't find their way out of a wet paper square. :(