And we're back!

Main Menu

Has Morrisey always been such a douche?

Started by Martinus, October 12, 2012, 01:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: Queequeg on October 13, 2012, 02:32:42 PM
:lol:
Your Anglophilia is shallow.  Jarvis Cocker is/was the lead singer of Pulp, Different Class was their best album.  I think of them as the 90's answer to The Smiths-all of Britpop was influenced by Morrisey, but Pulp was funnier and smarter than anything associated with that wretched man was ever able to be.  Some of the songs-most notably Common People-are also just way, way more fun than The Smiths.

Pulp was ok, but they traded extra levels of smarm for less interesting music compared to the Smiths.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 13, 2012, 03:55:14 AM
Quote from: katmai on October 13, 2012, 02:33:57 AM
In sure he's no more of a douche than Marti.

:thumbsup:

That would make him a world class douche.  He also doesn't seem to know the difference between empiricism and imperialism.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on October 12, 2012, 10:22:01 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 12, 2012, 10:06:43 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 12, 2012, 09:32:06 AM
I gotta say that I used to be sympathetically neutral about vegetarians and vegans, but having witnessed some of them "in action", I'm beginning to think that they are dangerous fanatics that should be purged.

Yes, let's purge the whole lot of them because a few extremists are idiots. After all, if a few extremists are idiots, they must all be dangerous fanatics. :rolleyes:
Don't forget Ide.  He also favours air forces, and so is double crazy.  And he's a lawyer.

A valid point was raised by a pal at work the other day about terror bombing, in that it's very likely to kill animals as well as civilians.  I had no ready answer to this critique. :(

Anyway, Morrissey was clearly considered a douche at least as far back as 1992.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQR78U6zvGI
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Quote from: frunk on October 13, 2012, 04:32:56 PM
Pulp was ok, but they traded extra levels of smarm for less interesting music compared to the Smiths.
Lot of words come to mind when I think of The Smiths.  Interesting isn't one of them.  Go with Gang of Four, New Order, Wire, or Roxy Music or something if you want interesting New Wave.  The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays were contemporaries of The Smiths, and way more interesting.  And better. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Pedrito

Quote from: Queequeg on October 15, 2012, 02:10:46 AM
Quote from: frunk on October 13, 2012, 04:32:56 PM
Lot of words come to mind when I think of The Smiths.  Interesting isn't one of them.  Go with Gang of Four, New Order, Wire, or Roxy Music or something if you want interesting New Wave.  The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays were contemporaries of The Smiths, and way more interesting.  And better.
:facepalm:

That's why we are still getting Morrissey interviewed and Marr performing in a lot of recently released albums, after 30 years: because they were not interesting.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Josquius

One thing with the Smiths is they made amazing singles.
And that's the sort of thing that gets remembered.
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

Quote from: Pedrito on October 15, 2012, 02:13:56 AM
:facepalm:

That's why we are still getting Morrissey interviewed and Marr performing in a lot of recently released albums, after 30 years: because they were not interesting.

L.
He gets interviewed a lot more frequently than Bryan Ferry or David Byrne, and nothing The Smiths every did was on par with Talking Heads or Roxy Music.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

I didn't know you could be a hipster nerd, but Spellus has it nailed down.

Queequeg

Quote from: Martinus on October 15, 2012, 02:57:17 AM
Hipsters are music nerds by definition.

Queequeg

Really, nerdiness is kind of a requisite. Don't you watch Portlandia or something? 

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Queequeg on October 15, 2012, 02:58:45 AM
Quote from: Martinus on October 15, 2012, 02:57:17 AM
Hipsters are music nerds by definition.
Nah, hipsters are fakers. They know bands just obscure enough to paint themselves in a cool light yet still be able to talk about them. Get in depth and they're lost
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

Quote from: Tyr on October 15, 2012, 04:18:07 AM
Nah, hipsters are fakers. They know bands just obscure enough to paint themselves in a cool light yet still be able to talk about them. Get in depth and they're lost
Meh.  I don't agree.  I know hipsters who know far more about music than I do.  It's 2012, though, so as I have stated repeatedly I don't think that's a useful term anymore.  Now that skinny jeans and thick, black acetate glasses have been replaced by straight leg and thin tortoiseshell or metal, the entire image has been reversed. 

Eddie Teach

So it's ok for hipsters to have leg muscles now? Cool.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?