Main Menu

Has Morrisey always been such a douche?

Started by Martinus, October 12, 2012, 01:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2012, 12:15:38 PM
Though not sure Soccer Moms wouldn't know about him given that The Smiths are from the 80s.

Then I probably know some of their songs and just don't know that it's them since I never pay attention to that stuff.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 12, 2012, 12:27:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 12, 2012, 12:15:38 PM
Though not sure Soccer Moms wouldn't know about him given that The Smiths are from the 80s.

Then I probably know some of their songs and just don't know that it's them since I never pay attention to that stuff.

Fair enough. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

I once told Brazen that The Smiths' songs all have the same tune (or, none, for that matter) and she hated me. :(

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 12, 2012, 01:35:13 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 12, 2012, 11:55:17 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2012, 11:47:31 AM
Quote from: merithyn on October 12, 2012, 11:43:58 AM
Um, for the old Soccer Moms type out here... Who's Morrisey? :unsure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrisey

Yeah, no idea who he is. Sounds like a good thing. :)

Only song you'd likely recognize is How soon is now.

I kept listening to "Panic" on loop during the last year's London riots.  :ph34r:

katmai

In sure he's no more of a douche than Marti.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

Actually, in that interview he seemed the most human that I've ever seen him be.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Queequeg

Yes.  He's half the man Jarvis Cocker is, and The Smiths never did anything close to Different Class.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Martinus

Quote from: Queequeg on October 13, 2012, 09:26:56 AM
Yes.  He's half the man Jarvis Cocker is, and The Smiths never did anything close to Different Class.

Who is Jarvis Coker and Different Class?

Queequeg

:lol:
Your Anglophilia is shallow.  Jarvis Cocker is/was the lead singer of Pulp, Different Class was their best album.  I think of them as the 90's answer to The Smiths-all of Britpop was influenced by Morrisey, but Pulp was funnier and smarter than anything associated with that wretched man was ever able to be.  Some of the songs-most notably Common People-are also just way, way more fun than The Smiths. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Queequeg