Main Menu

How the GOP Destroyed Its Moderates

Started by Queequeg, October 09, 2012, 03:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on October 09, 2012, 11:43:27 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on October 09, 2012, 10:56:29 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 10:55:17 PM
That's probably a good way to get people to agree. Label your political opponents insane.
We have three topics on the front page on GOP antics.

Two are about Arkansas.

Isn't that where Bill was when he swept the nation?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on October 09, 2012, 11:47:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 10:55:17 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on October 09, 2012, 10:51:17 PM
QuoteThe problem with the American left
I find the GOP far more interesting than the Democrats, and tbh in terms of temperament I'm about evenly split between the last time the two parties were sane (approx. 1960).  The powerlessness of the GOP's sane wing is a problem for the country, and all Americans should be concerned. 

That's probably a good way to get people to agree. Label your political opponents insane.

Having insane political opponents means you are probably not going to agree regardless. :contract:

So insanity means just means contrary in this context?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Insane is having a gay black guy join a party that isn't that keen on gays or blacks.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on October 10, 2012, 12:48:22 AM
Insane is having a gay black guy join a party that isn't that keen on gays or blacks.

Gays maybe, but Republicans love their token blacks. There's probably a slot on Fox News waiting for garbon if he wants it. If he can make colorful rhymes he may even get a shot at heading the RNC.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

Grey Fox

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 09, 2012, 11:19:11 PM
I thought it was pretty good, I'm definitely one of those moderate Republicans who are jumping ship at this point. Obama definitely represents my policy choices than the current GOP. I just don't trust them. Of course it doesn't really matter since I'm from Rhode Island.

I voted for Bush twice, and for McCain by the way.

I didn't you, of all people, were a racist.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 10, 2012, 07:58:10 AM
I thought it was pretty good, I'm definitely one of those moderate Republicans who are jumping ship at this point. Obama definitely represents my policy choices than the current GOP. I just don't trust them. Of course it doesn't really matter since I'm from Rhode Island.

Care to translate that for those of us who speak only English and a little Latin?
PDH!

Grey Fox

Tim is a racist because he voted against Obama.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Phillip V on October 10, 2012, 07:45:44 AM
Romney says that he will keep mortgage deduction for middle class and do nothing about abortion law.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/10/us/politics/romney-pledges-to-keep-tax-deductions-for-mortgages.html
Weak.  If you're going to go after deductions, it's kind of hard to overlook the mortgage deduction, considering that IIRC it's worth hundreds of billions of dollars every year, and is a very stupid policy on top of it. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 10, 2012, 07:58:10 AM

What?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

GOP's Timmytaint:  removed

Maybe there is hope for us after all.  Timmy is Obama's problem now :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 11:02:41 PM
Which is could easily be an indicator that we've a bunch of Dems getting their panties in a twist.
I can't convince you to read the article in question, so there's really no reason to argue with you. 
Of course we do.  They think they're losing.  It's a mark of Romney's success last week.
I've been beating this drum since 2008.  We won back then.   :huh:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on October 10, 2012, 09:33:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 11:02:41 PM
Which is could easily be an indicator that we've a bunch of Dems getting their panties in a twist.
I can't convince you to read the article in question, so there's really no reason to argue with you. 
You're the one who mentioned the articles in other threads and I've looked over those. I'm not asking you to argue with me - just that the volume of posts that our Dem posters make about Republicans isn't a sign alone that Republicans are insane.

Valmy

This is a little silly.  The party that does not hold the Presidency always gets to talk big.  They will be back to being in the soft squeezy middle if Romney wins.  Heck he is already doing it and nobody is demanding he be brutally purged.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."