News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How the GOP Destroyed Its Moderates

Started by Queequeg, October 09, 2012, 03:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Phillip V on October 09, 2012, 04:50:54 PM
The current Republican Presidential candidate is a moderate from Massachusetts. In last week's debate, he declared that he would not lower tax bills for the rich, that regulation was good and necessary, and that he would not cut education. What's funny is that conservatives don't care anymore and loved it. :D
In fairness he didn't say that he wouldn't lower taxes for the rich.  He said he'd cut taxes but it would be revenue neutral and that the rich would pay the same proportion of revenue as they do now.

QuoteWhat's up with Dem posters thinking we want to read large walls of politically slanted text?
The problem with the American left :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

QuoteThe problem with the American left
I find the GOP far more interesting than the Democrats, and tbh in terms of temperament I'm about evenly split between the last time the two parties were sane (approx. 1960).  The powerlessness of the GOP's sane wing is a problem for the country, and all Americans should be concerned. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on October 09, 2012, 10:51:17 PM
I find the GOP far more interesting than the Democrats, and tbh in terms of temperament I'm about evenly split between the last time the two parties were sane (approx. 1960).  The powerlessness of the GOP's sane wing is a problem for the country, and all Americans should be concerned. 

That's probably a good way to get people to agree. Label your political opponents insane.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 10:55:17 PM
That's probably a good way to get people to agree. Label your political opponents insane.
We have three topics on the front page on GOP antics. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Lettow77

So by talking into an echo-chamber, you heard of their naughty mischief so much you deduced they must be insane?

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

That says more about Languish than about the GOP. /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on October 09, 2012, 10:56:29 PM
Which is could easily be an indicator that we've a bunch of Dems getting their panties in a twist.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

I thought it was pretty good, I'm definitely one of those moderate Republicans who are jumping ship at this point. Obama definitely represents my policy choices than the current GOP. I just don't trust them. Of course it doesn't really matter since I'm from Rhode Island.

I voted for Bush twice, and for McCain by the way.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 11:02:41 PM
Which is could easily be an indicator that we've a bunch of Dems getting their panties in a twist.
Of course we do.  They think they're losing.  It's a mark of Romney's success last week.
Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Two are about Arkansas.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on October 09, 2012, 10:51:17 PM

Having insane political opponents means you are probably not going to agree regardless. :contract:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.