And we're back!

Main Menu

Latin, school and you.

Started by Brazen, October 09, 2012, 05:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did you learn Latin at school?

Yes, I was taught at school.
18 (40.9%)
No, but I taught myself, or took a later qualification.
1 (2.3%)
No, but I've picked a little up from wider reading.
8 (18.2%)
No, but I picked up some terms from other subjects I studied e.g. law, biology.
9 (20.5%)
Veni, vidi, vici THIS mofo.
8 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Brazen

Quote from: Monoriu on October 09, 2012, 01:15:11 PM
No school in their right mind will teach Latin in HK.  We spend a huge amount of resources in teaching English and we still get very uneven results.  We need to make sure that everybody are fluent in both Chinese and English before we worry about obscure languages.
Does anyone study Old Chinese or Middle Chinese as an equivalent classical language?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2012, 01:32:39 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2012, 01:18:46 PM
Spanish instruction is very poor in Texas, which I find sorta funny in a sad way, so it would probably be a total disaster if they made it mandatory.  Not to mention politically unlikely.  But I think you could justify doing so here.

It would probably help a bit if Texas actually hired Spanish teachers that, you know, actually spoke Spanish.  But we know how Texas feels about minority/ethnic hiring.  Damned Mexicans taking our jobs.

Ethnic quotas for foreign language teachers!

What could possibly go wrong  :hmm: ?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Maladict on October 09, 2012, 10:16:23 AM
6 years, 4-5 hours a week. Combined with Dutch, English, German, French and Ancient Greek, it was heavy going. Well worth it, though.

What the hell kind of school were you going to??
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 09, 2012, 02:30:46 PM
It would probably help a bit if Texas actually hired Spanish teachers that, you know, actually spoke Spanish.  But we know how Texas feels about minority/ethnic hiring.  Damned Mexicans taking our jobs.

Ethnic quotas for foreign language teachers!

What could possibly go wrong  :hmm: ?

Don't mess with Texas.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on October 09, 2012, 09:14:08 AM
I had enough trouble with French - why would I try and learn latin?

You have the benefit of having a foreign language under your belt for college applications without anyone expecting you to actually speak it.  You take German and someone might say "hey, you speak Deutschlander, what did those two fucking Nazis just say?", and you'd be expected to translate.  With Latin, this doesn't come up very often.  The closest I can think of  is "Hey, you speak Latin, what did that guy dressed as Roman Legionary say?", to which you can reply.  "That's just Cal, he's not speaking Latin, he's just drunk off his ass and playing dress up".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2012, 04:00:35 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 09, 2012, 09:14:08 AM
I had enough trouble with French - why would I try and learn latin?

You have the benefit of having a foreign language under your belt for college applications without anyone expecting you to actually speak it.  You take German and someone might say "hey, you speak Deutschlander, what did those two fucking Nazis just say?", and you'd be expected to translate.  With Latin, this doesn't come up very often.  The closest I can think of  is "Hey, you speak Latin, what did that guy dressed as Roman Legionary say?", to which you can reply.  "That's just Cal, he's not speaking Latin, he's just drunk off his ass and playing dress up".

I don't recall anyone asking me to speak Spanish to them either. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Maybe people just don't expect much from you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2012, 04:12:42 PM
Maybe people just don't expect much from you.

I think it's more like the fact that many colleges don't actually have an interview process - so there isn't really going to be anyone checking your speaking skills unless you are trying to use them to place out of a language requirement.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

The only Latin I learned was in Law School.

Eddie Teach

Be a good career opportunity for Tim and Jaron. Oh, wait, never mind.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

I didn't have the option. Took Spanish.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

clandestino

chose the last option, although there should be an option of "No, but I can pick some words here and there since I speak a latin language".

stjaba

7 years of Latin from 6th grade to 11th grade.  :bleeding: I have forgotten 98% of it. Wish I had taken Spanish instead.

Maladict

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 09, 2012, 03:03:37 PM
6 years, 4-5 hours a week. Combined with Dutch, English, German, French and Ancient Greek, it was heavy going. Well worth it, though.

Dutch equivalent of grammar school, I suppose. Dutch, English, one other modern language and one ancient language were mandatory.

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on October 10, 2012, 07:32:04 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on October 09, 2012, 03:03:37 PM

Dutch equivalent of grammar school, I suppose. Dutch, English, one other modern language and one ancient language were mandatory.

Intense but pretty cool.