European views on American involvement in the Vietnam war.

Started by Razgovory, October 08, 2012, 02:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 03:42:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2012, 03:33:54 PM

I am not sure what Hitler attacking Britain has to do with your argument.  Britain entered because of treaty obligations.  The US entered Vietnam under a pretext generated by the US.  The war in the Gulf is a good example of US imperialist tendancies so I am not sure how much that helps you.

You dont understand the meaning of prop up?

So Gulf War I, which was fought on the basis of the UN article calling for mutual defense against aggression, is an imperialist war (which paints about 40 countries, including the likes of Norway and Denmark, with the imperialist brush) yet Britain gets a pass for WWII because they publicly pledged to defend Poland.  OK, it's getting a lot clearer now.

Not sure why you insist on bringing up Britain since I havent given them a pass for anything.  I am simplying identifying the fact that they were very different circumstances.

I include both Gulf wars in my reference to American imperialistic tendancies.  Hope things are becoming clearer for you now.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2012, 06:48:43 PM
Not sure why you insist on bringing up Britain since I havent given them a pass for anything.  I am simplying identifying the fact that they were very different circumstances.

I believe your original position was that Britain's declaration of war against Germany in response to the invasion of Poland was not an imperialist war.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2012, 06:32:50 PM
And to think, I said nice things about you.

No you didn't.  You agreed with what I said.  That's not an act of kindness.

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on October 09, 2012, 04:34:11 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 04:24:40 PMOf course.  Spanish-American War.

... but since then, no imperialistic adventures? The Spanish-American War is about as far as you can go in describing a war as being imperialistic?

What are, in your opinion, the salient differences that make the Spanish-American War imperialistic, but not the Vietnam one?

Well yes. The Phillipine Resistance against US rule did convince the USA that Imperialism was a silly thing to do. The ones who initially wanted an empire found out that it wasn't worth the effort.

The salient difference between the Spanish-American War and Vietnam War was in the SA war the US exploited insurgents against Spanish rule to replace Spanish rule in Vietnam the US tried to establish a popular democratic non-communist government.

If you had asked an american to describe full success in Vietnam he would have described something like Thailand today. If you had asked the same american's great grandfather to describe full success in the SA War he would have described something like British India. That is the salient difference.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 09, 2012, 05:27:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 05:19:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 05:13:19 PM
Christ.

You engaged with mongers. :P

Is it any wonder I don't 'engage' with you anymore, what with your 'au contraire' shtick having gotten old some time ago.

Actually we generally don't engage and I think that suits us both just fine. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 07:16:57 PMActually we generally don't engage and I think that suits us both just fine. :)

Engage schmengage, just get married already you two!

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 09, 2012, 07:45:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 07:16:57 PMActually we generally don't engage and I think that suits us both just fine. :)

Engage schmengage, just get married already you two!

My gov't wouldn't recognize it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 09, 2012, 06:59:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 09, 2012, 06:32:50 PM
And to think, I said nice things about you.

No you didn't.  You agreed with what I said.  That's not an act of kindness.

I said them to my self, anyway avoid blue on blue in this thread okay?  I'm on your side here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 08:14:40 PM

Move to the UK. You can get a tandem bicycle and spend your evenings riding through the English countryside.  :bowler:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 09, 2012, 10:38:36 PM

Move to the UK. You can get a tandem bicycle and spend your evenings riding through the English countryside.  :bowler:

If it was that big enough of a deal for him, he wouldn't support the party that would much rather euthanize him than let him get married.

garbon

I don't know how to ride a bike.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2012, 10:43:02 PM

If it was that big enough of a deal for him, he wouldn't support the party that would much rather euthanize him than let him get married.

:yawn:

Do you ever get tired of being so dull? I know I would be.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 10:51:46 PM

Don't worry, I will continue to defend the civil liberties you willfully choose to abdicate.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 10:51:11 PM
I don't know how to ride a bike.

I'm sure Mongers would be willing to teach you, considering how much time he spends proselytizing.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 09, 2012, 10:54:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2012, 10:51:46 PM

Don't worry, I will continue to defend the civil liberties you willfully choose to abdicate.

I can't think of a single vote of mine that has led to me losing liberties. I do though remember that many people came out to support Obama in 2008 and those same people voted to get rid of my right to marry in California.