And we're back!

Main Menu

Naked student shot dead in Alabama

Started by Lettow77, October 07, 2012, 02:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: garbon on October 07, 2012, 04:09:57 PM
Yeah because cops are never trigger happy. :rolleyes:
When dealing with criminal racial groups, there's nothing wrong with a bit of zeal.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Disagree. All that does is encourage people to further mistrust the govt.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on October 07, 2012, 07:16:38 PM
Disagree. All that does is encourage people to further mistrust the govt.
Deport them to Liberia.  Problem solved.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on October 07, 2012, 08:19:41 PM
Cost prohibitive and racist.
Racism isn't a bad thing.  The stereotypes we develop are what keep us alive.

garbon

Neil

garbon

Relying on racial stereotypes is a good way to get tucked up.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on October 07, 2012, 06:52:36 PM
This actually terrifies me with Jeremy. Someone in a hypoglycemic bout looks and acts a hell of a lot like someone either drunk or on drugs. I know, I've been punched in the jaw by one while on the ambulance.  <_<

My first thought when I read this was: druggie. Then it was: shit, diabetic?

I've never seen a hypoglycemic jump into crane fighting mode buck ass naked.  Being naked acting crazy and combative is a red flag, and usually not because they need a Snickers bar.

QuoteBut he was outside a police station where presumably other officers would have been able to help him, or at least bring him a tazer or pepper spray or something. Hard to know what I would do in that situation, but killing the kid seems like it was the poorer option.

We don't know.  Other officers may not have been immediately available.  At that time of night, he may have been in the station alone at that particular moment. 

Quotehe Department is led by the Chief of Police, the Deputy Chief of Police, followed by an Administrative Lieutenant, and a Patrol Lieutenant. It is further comprised of two Patrol Sergeants, four Patrol Corporals, a Detective Sergeant, two Detectives, eighteen Police Officers, eight Dispatchers, five Security Officers, five Parking Services workers, two clerks, and two Student Employees.

It's a shitty little campus police department on a shitty little campus.

CountDeMoney

QuoteMOBILE, Ala. (AP) -- Friends of a University of South Alabama student are questioning his fatal shooting by a campus police officer.
Colgan Meanor says 18-year-old Gil Collar of Wetumpka was an outgoing athlete who loved wrestling in high school. She says she's shocked over his killing by an officer outside the university police department early Saturday.
Another friend of Collar, Tyler Kendrick, says the officer shouldn't have drawn his weapon on an unarmed person.
School officials say the student ignored repeated commands to stop. The school says Collar was nude and acting erratically when he confronted the officer.
The officer is on paid leave, and an autopsy will determine if drugs or alcohol were involved.

Does Facebook have a "Shoot/Don't Shoot" feature for friends? 

QuoteCampus officials say the confrontation was recorded by security cameras.

Oooh, sweet.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2012, 10:22:07 PM
I've never seen a hypoglycemic jump into crane fighting mode buck ass naked.  Being naked acting crazy and combative is a red flag, and usually not because they need a Snickers bar.

They do act crazy and combative, but yeah, usually they keep their clothes on. :) Regardless, my fear for Jeremy and kids like him is pretty real. Acting combative and drunk could easily end in a similar situation.

We don't know.  Other officers may not have been immediately available.  At that time of night, he may have been in the station alone at that particular moment. 

Quotehe Department is led by the Chief of Police, the Deputy Chief of Police, followed by an Administrative Lieutenant, and a Patrol Lieutenant. It is further comprised of two Patrol Sergeants, four Patrol Corporals, a Detective Sergeant, two Detectives, eighteen Police Officers, eight Dispatchers, five Security Officers, five Parking Services workers, two clerks, and two Student Employees.

It's a shitty little campus police department on a shitty little campus.

Fair enough.

Like I said, I don't doubt the cop feared for his life. Unarmed doesn't mean not dangerous. Nonetheless, it's a sad ending. It's kind of human nature to look for how it may have been prevented. Besides, armchair policing has become a hobby since before Law & Order hit the airwaves.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Naked crazy student shot by campus cop?  Solution: concealed carry!

QuoteUSA student advocates carrying concealed weapons on campus

MOBILE, Ala. (WALA) - The shooting of a student on the University of South Alabama Campus by a campus police officer has raised the question of crime and campus safety for some students.

One of the people who attended the news conference by school officials Saturday afternoon is advocating a change in policy at USA and other schools to allow students to carry concealed weapons on campus.

Phillip Harding had something on his belt other students didn't have at the news conference Saturday: an empty gun holster.

Harding said, "An empty holster is kind of a symbolism that, while I'm trained, I have a permit, I can be armed. I'm not allowed to be armed here."

Harding is the state director of Students for Concealed Carry of Alabama, part of a national organization that believes trained licensed adults over 21 should be allowed to carry concealed weapons on college campuses for their own safety.

USA officials addressed the issue of student safety at Saturday's news conference.

USA Public Relations Director Keith Ayers said, "This is a very, tragic development. Statistically, I think, as you all have reported in the past, and in your comparisons, this is a very safe campus to live, work and play."

Harding isn't convinced.

He said, "Criminals can come right on campus anytime."

Harding said he's talked with USA school administrators about his concerns, but, "all I've been able to get out of them is that, no, 'campus carry' is not illegal. You can't be charged with a crime for doing so. However, anyone who is caught carrying a weapon on campus is subject to the disciplinary committee, and, employees can be terminated, [and] students can be expelled for that."

Harding believes crimes on campus, like a robbery in September and a shooting incident in April that left the campus on lockdown could bring the issue to the forefront.

"Students would be a lot safer if they were allowed to defend themselves, and they didn't have to rely on the police to come back after the fact," said Harding.

derspiess

Racist, yes.  But how is it cost prohibitive?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on October 08, 2012, 11:37:10 AM

It isn't going to be cheap to ship out an entire segment of the population.  Lawyer fees alone should be enough of an issue.

dps

Quote from: derspiess on October 08, 2012, 11:37:10 AM

If it's racist to deport them to Liberia, how about Iceland instead?