News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Naked student shot dead in Alabama

Started by Lettow77, October 07, 2012, 02:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on October 07, 2012, 01:14:27 PM
Wasn't there some shit a few years back about a Muslim wedding killing somebody with their airshots?

Fun fact:  17 people died from falling rounds the day Kuwait City was liberated in '91 from all the dune monkeys firing in the air.

DGuller

Interestingly enough, I always bought into the "if you have to shoot, shoot to kill" philosophy, until this thread where Seedy's lame attempts to defend me made me go back and think it over.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2012, 01:26:14 PM
Interestingly enough, I always bought into the "if you have to shoot, shoot to kill" philosophy, until this thread where Seedy's lame attempts to defend me made me go back and think it over.

You go ahead and do that.  Think it over.

Tamas

This might be just urban legend but a I heard a guy claiming that his police officer friend told him he and his colleagues were told, when about to face a gypsy lynchmob, to make sure and fire their clip to the air so the civilians would not get their hand on a loaded gun when overpowering them.  :huh:

Tamas

I appreciate warning shots and shots to the leg, except that the latter sounds awfully tricky to pull off in a high-stress situation (ie. against anyone but angry housewifes standing still while yelling), and the former either causing too long a delay to save an innocent life, or can be pretty easily dodged by a trigger-happy cop (face the opponent, shoot two into him, one into the air, dare CSI to figure out which of the 3 happened first :P )

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2012, 01:23:40 PM
Wasn't there some shit a few years back about a Muslim wedding killing somebody with their airshots?
Yes, falling bullets can kill (though I'm not sure if pistol bullets have enough of a terminal velocity and the height to do it).  However, shooting a gun in general is dangerous, and bystanders can always get hurt.  It's a matter of contrasting different options, you don't get to critique a certain method in isolation.  When the benchmark method is shooting to kill whenever you have to shoot, the bar is fairly low to find a better alternative method, as dangerous as it would be itself.
That's the whole point though.  If somebody makes a cop use his gun, it's important that person be killed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Ugh, Mythbusters. Might as well give a pistol to 5 chimps in a field and see what happens.

Then blow the chimps up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tamas on October 07, 2012, 01:28:16 PM
This might be just urban legend but a I heard a guy claiming that his police officer friend told him he and his colleagues were told, when about to face a gypsy lynchmob, to make sure and fire their clip to the air so the civilians would not get their hand on a loaded gun when overpowering them.  :huh:

Magazine.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Tamas

garbon

Quote from: Neil on October 07, 2012, 01:35:27 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2012, 01:23:40 PM
Yes, falling bullets can kill (though I'm not sure if pistol bullets have enough of a terminal velocity and the height to do it).  However, shooting a gun in general is dangerous, and bystanders can always get hurt.  It's a matter of contrasting different options, you don't get to critique a certain method in isolation.  When the benchmark method is shooting to kill whenever you have to shoot, the bar is fairly low to find a better alternative method, as dangerous as it would be itself.
That's the whole point though.  If somebody makes a cop use his gun, it's important that person be killed.

Yeah because cops are never trigger happy. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

This actually terrifies me with Jeremy. Someone in a hypoglycemic bout looks and acts a hell of a lot like someone either drunk or on drugs. I know, I've been punched in the jaw by one while on the ambulance.  <_<

My first thought when I read this was: druggie. Then it was: shit, diabetic?

I get why the cop shot the kid. He seriously worried for his life. But he was outside a police station where presumably other officers would have been able to help him, or at least bring him a tazer or pepper spray or something. Hard to know what I would do in that situation, but killing the kid seems like it was the poorer option.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Phillip V

The kid weighed 135 pounds and was 5-foot-7.